AMC: Daytime Confidential confirming production moving to LA

• Members

Isn't Lisa Hesser (or whatever her name is) going to take over? That's my guess. She has LA experience and (now) AMC experience.

I guess we'll see McConnell and others even less...they won't relocate.

I cannot imagine OLTL will remain the lone NY show. Either OLTL will be cancelled, or after the AMC test "succeeds", OLTL will relocate too.

With the massive costs of relocation, this is hard to imagine. It almost only makes sense if Pine Valley has another tornado, necessitating "rebuilding". Maybe even they find a contrivance (ala Loving-->The City) to explain why a core group from Pine Valley must relocate to ... err... maybe an apartment complex in LA?

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wonder how willing David Canary would be to moving, doesn't he have kids in college there in NY?

MEK, I wonder how willing he would be to move?

Same for Debbi and Darnell, would they be so willing to move as well?

That right there is the biggest percentage of the show's big names, what's the point in moving if the show loses it's cast? Personally I'd rather it be cancelled than continue under Pratt

• Members

I may be profoundly naive, but I think this is far worse news for AMC than for OLTL.

The East Coast soaps have relied on the same faithful talent in front of and behind the cameras for years and years. There is a wealth of actors and crew that are uniquely New York. All of that is going to be severely gutted at AMC when it moves across the country. And let's not forget this happened because of money: It couldn't stay within budget and it couldn't support itself to warrant its own facilities which it used to command respectably. OLTL, by contrast, still maintains its budget thanks to Frank Valentini. And its demographics are higher, and its ratings are often higher. What will happen to what little AMC has left in ratings when all the marquee names and beloved vets refuse to move to California? We've seen this story before with these kind of profound changes to a soap. It always ends the same way. I'm sure ABC still values AMC's brand more than OLTL, but the bottom line seems to be that they could not maintain their production model or manage their money, so their brand will be shattered. And money is always the bottom line. I think this is a death sentence for Pine Valley.

• Members

But after the huge paycuts the big names took last year? If I was SL or MEK I sure wouldn't be in the mood to make the move. They took 40% hits for the team last year, presumably to help allow the show to continue as it was, and now they want them to uproot and move to LA?

• Members

I assume Carruthers will return to the west coast. That's where she was before she got the AMC job. I wonder how long this has been a set plan, because apparently Lisa de Cazotte still resides primarily in LA. So did Frons tell her this was going happen way back at the end of last year?

And if LDC has been flying back and forth from LA all this time at ABC's expense there's part of your budget problem right there. Anyone who has seen LDC will know what I'm talking about.

• Members

Either Haskell or Kaye will commute if they stay with their shows, and I don't see Susan jumping at the chance to fly in and out of NY away from her babies just to placate OLTL. If that family moves to L.A. I think she's out of Llanview. But hasn't Thorsten indicated he is tired of his stories and airtime on AMC? I would not be surprised if he commuted TO L.A. instead.

IF he joined OLTL, which I doubt, and Frons let him do that, you'll know AMC is really fucked and that Frons is no longer that interested in what happens to it.

Archived