Michelle Kwan Won't Compete in 2009-2010

Jonathan

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love Michelle Kwan but I think this is for the best. I think the US can only send two women skaters to the Olympics next year due to the placements in the World Championships this year. In 2005, she took Sarah Hughes spot and had to withdraw. We actually have a few great young skaters but the selection committee would choose Michelle to go and take one of their deserved spots.

• Members

Not true. You're referring to Sarah's sister, Emily. And Michelle didn't take Emily's spot. Back then, USFSA rules stated that one spot is reserved for the winner of Nationals (Sasha that year). The remaining spots could be filled by other skaters, not necessarily those who placed 2nd and 3rd at Nationals. Michelle didn't skate Nationals that year because she was injured. She healed in time for the Olympics. So Michelle was granted a spot via a medical bye. Michelle was perfectly within the rules.

Sorry, for correcting you, but a lot of people have been unfair to Michelle because they think she stole a spot from Emily, which she did not do.

I think the bigger issue that I have is that Michelle is always going to be held to a certain standard and if there is any inkling of supposed biasness in her favor, people are always jumping on her back.

• Members

Yes, I meant Emily Hughes and I understand the rules of how the they are picked by the selection committee but Emily should of been picked. Emily was healthy and had been competing during the season in events leading up to the Olympics. Michelle hadn't competed in a major event since the 2005 Worlds (where she placed 4th). And obviously Michelle wasn't completely healthy because she ended up reinjury her groin injury by pushing herself which is why upon her FIRST practice in Turin she ended up having to drop out. Michelle was screwed over in 1994 by the whole Nancy Kerrigan/Tonya Harding debacle when she should of been the 2nd person on the team.

• Members

I said that I Love Michelle Kwan when I began my post. There are people who jump on her but there are just as many who think she can do no wrong. If another skater beats her fair and square in a competition they jump all over them (see Tara Lipinski '98 and Sarah Hughes '02).

• Members

Not that you are doing this, but others have made a big deal of her placing 4th at 2005 Worlds. That was the first international competition where she was skating to the God-awful new rules of figure skating (another rant) and placing 4th on her first try in my opinion is ok. Emily wasn't even close to making the worlds podium that year.

I feel like when Michelle places out of the medal stands, all of a sudden she's an old maid and she's washed up. Also, people made a big deal of her "old age" after 2000 saying she could not possibly win because she was in her 20s. But when Shizuka Arakawa won Olympic Gold in 2006, the newspapers would say something to the effect of, "At only, 24 years old, Arakawa, won gold..." This is what I mean, Michelle is always judged by a different set of standards.

I'm sure Michelle is making the best decision for her. But selfishly, I want her to compete and of course I want to see her win. This sport has become so uninteresting because 1) Michelle isn't around 2) the judging system is so convoluted and confusing that it's difficult to follow and enjoy.

• Members

Just to put my 2 cents in..... I'm sorry Michelle won't compete too. she an absolutely beautiful, graceful skater. She embodies everything I loved about the sport of figure skating. I lost all that love when it became all about the jumps. Triple sxles, saucows etc ruined the sport for me.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Might I also add:

- Tosca 2004 U.S. Nationals Long Program

- Fields of Gold 2002 Olympics Exhibition

Yeah. I don't follow figure skating anymore. For one, I think the girls now are truly just uninspired. For another, the new scoring system SUCKS (I guess it's not even "new" anymore, but it'll always be new) and they need to come up with something else. It's just not as exciting for the viewer as 5.9, 6.0 was.

I just wanna say, once Kwan dropped out Emily Hughes took her place, so it's not like Emily didn't get to compete.

Archived