OLTL: Discussion for the week July 27

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think they were trying to channel Streetcar Named Desire. As soon as I saw that fire escape, I knew we were headed for Rex screaming, "Gigi!" Seeing him try to recreate Brando's Stanley Kowalski was painful, and is Stacey supposed to be Blanche Dubois? Yeah, "I've always relied on the kindness of strangers - who give me bags of blood."

The rest of the show was great, though, and strangely the scenes at Asa's lodge had a bit of a slightly campy, Southern Gothic vibe as well, and Asa was kind of like a larger than life Tennessee Williams patriarch, reaching out from beyond the grave to control his children's lives. Interesting stuff...

• Members

I enjoyed today's episode. I loved the Bo/Nora and Viki/Clint scenes. I like that Viki and Clint are still close and can talk openly but that they know each has moved on with there lives. When soaps remember these connections and play the beats is when they are at there best. Bo and Nora were my most favorite couple(next to Megan and Jake) but I have to wonder, is it to late for them? I think BSW and HBS still share chemistry but so much has happened to them I wonder if this is what is right for both characters. As for Rex, Gigi, Stacy, Sky, playing Gigi in scenes with Rex and Stacy makes her look like a better actress. Not because she is better but because the other 2 are really really BAD. I hope Gigi and Sky hook up and that Rex and Stacy go away together to raise their spawn.

• Members

I was FFing through some scenes, but I wonder if anyone at the cabin happened to mention or acknowledge that Rachel murdered Georgie Phillips there and that's where Todd held everyone hostage (including Viki, Bo, Nora, and Asa) and Rachel confessed to the murder. You'd think the cabin would be an unpleasant place for Rachel, but whatever...

• Members

I personally think it has to do with the fact that that happened under JFP's reign of terror. The show never makes reference to anything that happened during her time on the show. Even yesterday when Clint said to Viki that she was Asa's favorite daughter-in-law twice they forgot to mention that Ben was also Asa's son, so it should have been three times. If they do make reference to something from that time, like Nora sleeping with Sam, it is usually done so in a demeaning way. Nora has said numerous times that that was something she never would have done and how stupid it was. Even with Tea and Todd they try to forget what an abusive relationship they had.

• Members

Amen.

On a side not did anyone catch the article in Out magazine with Scott Evens and Brett Claywell. Interesting read but my favorite part was this:

" With your luck, Brett, you’ll learn Kyle is actually a straight female stripper next month!

BC: [Laughs] We don’t need another stripper on our show!"

Ha, how funny is that.

• Members

I loved the Bo and Nora kiss. It was awkward, then sweet and tender. But I get the feeling she going to go ahead and marry Clint and that will be the end of anything loving or romantic between Bo and Nora.

• Members

I'm shocked too! 10+ years in soaps and she still can't act.

DC and Branco and others peddled Gigi and Rex as the couple of the year before Stacy came along, but I never thought they were anything special even before then. They weren't good enough in the 1968 story and were downright horrible when Rex found out he was Shane's father and Brody went crazy and Shane found out the truth.

I thought ratings also hit record lows during the time they were hogging the screen last summer and fall.

• Members

FF is far from the world's great actress, but she has a pluck and a grit and a strange, off-center candor that comes across onscreen as well as in publicity material. I still like her and Gigi, despite these terrible stories. I thought she was right on in that interview.

• Members

Truthfully, I can't argue with much of what she said, although I thought it was funny that she voiced her complaint that she wasn't working with other characters who had more history than the "2 strippers". Gigi is still a newbie in my mind so she doesn't have much history herself. I agree that Farah has a natural charm that I originally found appealing. She reminded me of Melissa Archer who's been criticized heavily in the past for lack of acting talent, although I think she's (Melissa Archer) improved tremendously over the years. There was just something intangible about her (Farah) that made her likeable and enjoyable to watch. But she would be well served to spend some time on the backburner. I feel like Gigi and her entourage are caught in my throat (gag).

Archived