Michael Jackson's Memorial

Soapsuds

• Members

Yeah the networks are going for ratings, but with so many airing this memorial service, won't this spread viewership out?

I still say it's too much. This is the kind of thing that should be reserved for the death of an ex-president/president or Queen Elizabeth or something

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Well, it's simple, just don't watch. LOL

While the funeral of a ex-president/president is huge in the States, it's not really big around the world. MJ wasn't just an American superstar, he was a WORLD ICON. People all around the world will be watching this historic event. So in the Global sense, he is/was bigger than any American President, or British Royalty or entertainer.

• Members

There is apparently a demand for coverage of Michael Jackson so the networks are giving the people what they want to watch. I have turned off MSNBC and CNN because I am done with the MJ coverage. I am not interested. On the other hand, someone I work with is wearing black in mourning for MJ. Takes all kinds.

• Members

This is creepy. Y&R at 10am!? I've never seen such a thing! Though I kinda like it. I've always wanted to see a soap in an earlier time slot, around 10am, or maybe even somewhere like 8:30.

Interesting that they're doing Drew's TPIR in the afternoon. Maybe they're somehow testing the waters to see how a game show would do in the afternoon once GL hits the road?

• Members

So. Who wants to bet that Joe Jackson and the Rev. Al Sharpton will be selling "additional tickets" to Michael's memorial service outside Staples Center?

(Yes, I know he's a Reverend, but he never seems to shy away from a media opportunity, either).

• Members

I despise my CBS affiliate here in Seattle. You could get state secrets before you can find out when the hell Y&R is going to air--and gawd forbid they actually update their listings.

So with the showings of Y&R everywhere else, I'm assuming we'll have a soapnet airing?

• Members

I'd believe so since it looks like CBS will succeed in showing Y&R and B&B (as well as TPIR) in every time zone. I'm jealous, ABC could have easily done the same - I'm not interested in the episodes as much as I just don't like the day behind factor. TPIR finished at 11 and mid-way through Y&R at 11:30 in New York. It is strange; I'm not used to an attractive looking soap on this early *eyes GL*

They're supposedly taking Michael's body to the memorial. The family must really want ratings bragging rights.

• Members

I remember soaps used to do that in the past, when they knew they'd be pre-empted in their regular time slot they'd air the shows earlier.

Well given it's ABC and who runs it, yeah not shocked that they can't pull their heads out of their arses and do what CBS did

• Members

This man is a world superstar, there are people who can't speak a lick of english but can sing an entire Michael Jackson song. Michael Jackson and his Legacy is timeless and will live on regardless of what some think of him as a man. My 10 year old cousin loves his music and tries to dance like him, he crosses generations and is equally important to those over 30 as well as does under.

I am a proud fan of Michael's music and will be watching the memorial along with the rest of my family while reliving their memories and enjoying the tributes much more than I would watching the soaps

Archived