Michael Jackson's Memorial

Soapsuds

• Members

Sounds like we might get about 5 hours of coverage of this. Ugh, I'm sorry but that's way overboard. Has any pope that has died ever gotten that? Did Princess Diana even get that?

Most networks are only covering this to get ratings.

I mean there are more important things going on in the world, but this gets 4-5 hours? :blink:

Overkill

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

So soaps aren't going to be on - big deal. We already get 250+ episodes a year.

MJ inspired a generation, was a WORLD superstar, and was one of the successful and influential entertainers of all time, so of course there's going to be tons of media - he was a "King". The next big death, in the music world, that will have this much coverage will be the "Queen" - Madonna.

• Members

Hmmm..an MJ fan?..LOL

ABC News just confirmed that live coverage will be begin at 1pm eastern time and finish at 3pm eastern time. Meaning that GH will be shown tomorrow. I am not sure if CBS will show GL tomorrow. Performing at the service is Mariah Carey, Beyonce, Jennifer Hudson, Lionel Richie....and more. Diana Ross is a question mark because of security reasons.

• Members

CBS SCHEDULE:

CHECK YOUR RECORDING DEVICES and REPROGRAM! DVR'S at least mine has the regular shows.

Here is the official word from CBS - check your timezone

Eastern Stations

11:00am-12:00n THE YOUNG & THE RESTLESS

12:00n-12:30pm Local News

12:30-1:00pm THE BOLD & THE BEAUTIFUL

1:00-2:30pm Michael Jackson Memorial

Following News Coverage GUIDING LIGHT will be joined in progress

Preempted AS THE WORLD TURNS

3:00-4:00pm THE PRICE IS RIGHT

Central Stations

10:00-11:00am THE YOUNG & THE RESTLESS

11:00-11:30am THE BOLD & THE BEAUTIFUL

11:30am-12:00n Local Programming

12:00n-1:30pm Michael Jackson Memorial

2:00-3:00pm THE PRICE IS RIGHT

Mountain Stations

9:00-10:00am THE YOUNG & THE RESTLESS

10:00-10:30am THE BOLD & THE BEAUTIFUL

10:30-11:00am Local Programming

11:00am-12:30pm Michael Jackson Memorial

1:00-2:00pm THE PRICE IS RIGHT

West Coast Stations

10:00-11:30am Michael Jackson Memorial

12:00n-12:30pm Local News

12:30-1:00pm THE BOLD & THE BEAUTIFUL

1:00-2:00pm THE YOUNG & THE RESTLESS

2:00-3:00pm THE PRICE IS RIGHT

• Members

And I tend to think that parents who accept payoffs, and then drop criminal charges, from the millionaire they accused of having molested their child were probably lying to start with.

Anyway...

So one day of typically lame, slow-moving and predictable shlock drama gets delayed in favor of a news story, with high public interest. Big deal. As if we haven't already seen these characters endlessly scheme and cry. Meh. I bet the networks get better ratings airing MJ's funeral during their soaps timeslot than they generally do with the showa.

• Members

I don't. Why put your child through that? Ordinary child molesters have the advantage in court unless there is very strong physical evidence. Never mind someone with the money, power and celebrity of MJ. Even adult woman sometimes choose not to put themselves through rape trials. It's easy to trip up children and make them look confused or like liars when they testify. Then imagine going up against someone with the money and power that MJ had. I think it's a lot smarter to take the money, even if it isn't what most people consider heroic. Sometimes people need to do what is best for their own. I wouldn't have let my children within 100 yards of MJ, but I can completely understand someone taking the money and avoiding trudging the whole thing up again for the kid. I'm sure the parents of all these kids were "pieces of work". Didn't they accept money for these "sleepovers"? :rolleyes: That's not the kids fault.

I doubt they would do that if there wasn't some merit to the case. If the average person did as much as MJ has admitted (sleeping in the same bed as young boys, giving them wine) to doing they would be known as Chester the Molester for life. Ask yourself what you would think of any neighbor who did that.

But anyway, the man is dead and this is my last comment on him. I won't miss my soaps tomorrow, I have plenty of ATWT on DVR to keep my busy.

• Members

I thought if they don't air on the east coast, then they won't air on the West Coast?

ABC already confirmed they're going to not skip an episode, just show Tuesday's episode on Wednesday, and I don't see the West Coast being a day ahead of everyone

• Members

Because Y&R comes before the ceremony and B&B is 30 minutes, they will air in their entirety tomorrow. They are not skipping episodes. I figured CBS would try to air at least part of GL, just because so few episodes are left before they have to wrap up the series in about a month. It would be tough for them to rewrite the final episodes. ATWT is the only CBS show pre-empted. Glad we're not getting a total washout.

• Members

Bullshit.  If someone diddles my kid, I won't rest until they're under the prison.  No parent with a soul takes a payoff from their childs alleged molester, in exchange for dropping the charges.  This is why I say MJ was innocent.  The parents were money grubbing opportunists.  That being said, again, MJ's funeral has more overall public interest than all eight of the soaps combined...and if the networks didn't preempt them tomorrow, they would get slaughtered in the ratings.

• Members

Any neighbor who did that would be locked up. I can't imagine what kind of parents allow their childto have sleep overs with a grown man. It really is a culture of celebrity. Michael Jackson was a sick freak, but I can separate the man from the music.

It is ridiculous that the soaps are being pre-empted for this event, but people are interested so the networks are going for the ratings. Can't blame them.

Archived