Y&R: Episodes discussion., Week of June 29,2009

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You're right, Alvin. In a "bigger picture" way, it's a bit of a mess, to put it mildly. I guess I'm just looking at it on an episode-by-episode basis. Some days, I'm totally blown away by how good an episode. Other days, I'm not. If I stop and look at visions and directions of the genre as a whole, it makes me want to curl up in a ball and cry, never turn another soap on again and forget about ALL of them.

So I go on a day-to-day basis. And on that, this past week was pretty damn good:

* Solid stuff from Morrow/Bergman/Braeden.

* Some beautiful stuff with MTS.

* Stafford kicking ass all over the place.

* Both the Patty/MJ and Phillip/Cane reveals.

And on the opposite end:

* A crappy day of Scoobies, and Kevin committing another crime that did NOT endear him to me at all,

* the character of Sharon making little to no sense to me.

But overall, this week had a lot more winners than losers to me. Next week could be a whole different story.

• Members

It was a good, not great, reveal scene. The acting saved some problematic writing & directing.

Why does EVERYONE in town have to be there for the big reveal? It would have been more powerful if it were just Nina, Jill, Cane, Kay and then P3. Lily could have walked in and them and been horribly confused -- giving the viewers two punches instead of one.

• Members

Suckage of the scene doesn't come from not everyone being there. It would have been great if only two people were involved just as it would if there were 300 hundred. It was very stop, then go, stop, go, jerky, spastic and ended terribly. Thom's appearance was...

• Members

It's easier to have everyone together, that means less spent playing the beats of the story, which they struggle with.

I think some of this week was strong, but they've spent so much time on women and children suffering or being in danger that I can't be involved now when there's yet another health crisis. All this Summer stuff would have worked better either months ago or months from now.

• Members

Let me clarify, I feel bad for Phillip faking his death but I dont feel bad for her concerning Cane playing her. She has been incredibly nasty to Nina and Katherine regarding him lately so any sympathy I could have had for her has gone all to Nina

• Members

I can't blame her for being upset with Nina, Nina has been very persistent and they've never gotten along. The way she is with Katherine is so poorly written I just ignore it.

I feel sorry for everyone in the story, at least among the women.

• Members

I'm not intending to single people out because of the opinion itself. It's the snap condemnation of acting talent when someone delievered one line and was on screen for 10 seconds. I said elsewhere I thoguth he did OK, but I would have liked to seen more. I think he's a great actor in GENERAL, but today? Not fabulous from what LITTLE WE SAW. If people would just wait until we see a little more to pass judegement, or at LEAST qualify it by saying "From what little wev'e seen, I thought he sucked" then it wouldn't be so bad. That's all. But if you want to hate him, go ahead, enjoy yourself. The rest of us aren't going to be sitting on our couches with notepads in hand, ready to jump on any and every imperfection in the show. Just like the criticizm of the frozen blood being passed off. You jumped RIGHT ON THAT, and you see how it turned out, they DIDN'T pass it off. So that's ALL I'm going to say on the subject, PERIOD. Rhythmchyc is right, let's just wait to see Monday's.

• Members

That's about what I said in my initial post, I thought he sucked with his one line of dialogue. But seeing old episodes and clips of him, I'm not impressed either.

You think he's a great actor in general, I DO NOT. So, clearly, there's a difference of opinion.

Yes, the frozen blood thing was stupid and still is, so? At least they admitted it, and I'll give them credit for that. It still doesn't change how ridiculous and inane this entire story is and how I perceive it to be.

I can't say I'm surprised Thom sucked, since he admitted himself that he wasn't interested in acting, he just came back to be himself. So, his heart clearly isn't in it from an acting perspective, and that's the show's fault for knowing this and going ahead and telling this story anyway. What kind of show hires an ACTOR that isn't interested in ACTING? Then again, given what this show is in its current state, I can't say I'm surprised.

• Members

I'm surprised no one fainted today when they saw Phillip lol. Now THAT's classic soap lol.

If Summer's supposed to come back from this with the brain damage those peanuts caused, is she gonna be different at all? It'd be nice to see some effects of this coma last a while rather than see a dandy happy ending.

• Members

Come on, does Heather's diagnosis with the Epstein Barr virus have any longterm effects on her? Does Kevin's recent battle with Stockholm Syndrome have any longterm effects? We've already gotten into the Sharon and her mental illness mess.

:lol:

So, you know Summer will be fine and dandy in the end. The writers aren't interested in the longterm effects. :lol:

• Members

Devon's hearing. Victor's epilepsy. Until now, Kay's stroke risk. Jack's gunshot residuals. Victor's vasectomies. Ashley and Phyllis' previously diagnosed infertility. There is a long list of this ignored stuff.

Archived