Wesley Eure (ex-Mike Horton, DAYS) comes out

• Members

They should just monetize it. Stream it, embed ads that can't be FF'd. The niche audience would eat that stuff up. It wouldn't take much extra $$ to upload, and the ad revenues would be continuous...slow constant trickle, that would eventually pay off. Include some kind of DRM to protect the property (like Netflix or Fox or ABC uses) and you're in good shape, I think.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For me it would be a toss up between WEsley Eure and Michael Weiss for popularity.

As far as popularity polls Daytime TV magazine was the leading poll of the time. Wesley Eure always made the runners up list while Weiss did make the Top Ten. Of course Eure's Mike was always played as a B story while Weiss's Mike was played as an A story at the time.

The teen story back then always was interweaved into the older stories. Mike, David, TRish, Margot, Valerie, etc. got a lot of air time but their stories were so dependent on the older A stories. Mike had big play off with the Bill, Laura, Mickey story and that affected his sex life and his sex life with Trish. Trish was being abused by her step-father and he tried to rape her which made her not want to sleep with Mike. She hit her step-father with an iron and killed him.

Then David came back to town angry with his girlfriend, Brooke, who was also angry because she was really the daughter of Bob Anderson. Brooke only used David basically to get to Salem. Of course David's story was so interweaved with the Bob story and the Doug, Julie and Addie story. Then the other young couple was Chris Kositchek and Mary Anderson. Mary was the only daughter of Bob - as far as viewers knew until Brooke showed up. Brooke hated Mary.

Chris and Mary (played by Josh Taylor and Barbara Stanger) were the most popular of the young stars. They consistently got the mag covers and Josh Taylor got several awards for Favorite Newcomer the year he came on. He was constantly photographed shirtless. And he was another of the stars that even Days played up in that 70's way mentioned in the article. He always had the top 3 buttons of his shirt undone even while he was at work at Anderson Manufacturing. And there was always the obligatory chest hair shining through. NO men wore t-shirts in the 70's. It was tight jeans and usually there was no underwear under those jeans either. They were too tight - we couldn't get any under there. LOL

I loved all the adult Mikes. Roark Critchlow was probably my least fave - even though I have liked him in other things. I just didn't like him as Mike.

For me I think the best looking Mike was Paul Coufos but he was never given much of a chance. I thought both Wesley Eure and Richard Guthrie were both hunks in the 70's but when they recast with Gregg Marx as David and Paul Coufos as Mike in the 80's and paired them with Catherine Mary Stewart as Kayla, I thought they hit the money boat. But all 3 were gone before too long. Gregg Marx stayed the longest of the 3. Why Days let him get away I'll never know. He was such a good actor but they never wrote David right. He went on to ATWT and won an Emmy for playing Tom Hughes.

Oh and yes the ratings did start dropping with Ann Marcus, really they started dropping a little toward the end of Smith's run too. Marcus got the biggest blame for it, but I think it was pretty inevitable that it would happen. The stories on Days were still very good at this time. Maggie's alcoholism, Julie getting burned, her split-up with Doug, etc. were all pretty good interesting stories and Don & Marlena's romance was really hot. But ABC was on the boom at the time and nothing that any of them were doing was competing.

The sad thing that I have said so many times is they chose not to offer something different than what ABC was offering. They offered the same thing or rip offs of it. Why would people watch the rip-off - they could watch the real thing over at ABC and they did. Even when Days got Smith back and she started the trend that turned Days fully into GH2 and not just a rip-off, Days never got the ratings that GH did. They got close but never achieved it.

Only Y&R stayed true to it's base, and offered something different. And we all know what happened. It rose to the top.

• Members

I am glad that he pointed out how hard it is still for actors in Hollywood to come out. And how being gay can have a negative impact on your career.

It is easy for others to sit back and say stuff about actors for not coming out, but as he pointed out it is just not an easy thing and can still even today ruin your career.

I mean you still even have interviewers asking people like Sean Penn the questions like did it worry you if you played gay that it could affect you getting other parts. It's still there folks. They wouldn't ask the questions if it wasn't.

And I agree with Wesley about people outing others. I despise that more than anything. That should be left up to the person if he wants to be outed. I hate it when straight folks do it but when other gays like Perez Hilton do it, I hate it even more. And I think they are the sorriest form of human being for doing so.

When a person comes out should be on his own agenda and not on the agenda of others.

• Members

I think there are rare exceptions. Senator Larry Craig of the public toilet Craigs...he needed to be exposed if only because he was voting against his own civil rights and intentionally harming others. But anyway, it has changed somewhat. Neil Patrick Harris, that guy from American Idol, the guy from NSync, Ian McKellen...with each out celebrity it makes it easier for the next.

• Members

Yeah but really only Neil Patrick Harris is what you would say a star now.

All the ones that are coming out seem to come out basically after the bulk of their stardom is gone. Lance Bass didn't come out at the height of the NSync craze. Ian McKellen didn't until late in life. Neil Patrick Harris didn't even do it at the height of his Doogie Howser craze.

I know times were different then and I am proud of them for coming out. But until a big star at the height of his career does it - it won't affect the overall impact.

I am just proud that they got to do it on their own time frame and it was not done for them. They did it when they felt comfortable and could deal with it.

If someone is outed before they can deal with it you can do so much to damage them psychologically that it has even lead some people to attempt suicide. Sexuality is a difficult issue for so many and the process has to be worked out by them and not by somebody else.

I just don't buy into this new age philosophy that I ahve read about by some gays who say that the stars should be forced to come out because it makes the cause look good to have them as poster children. And it calls them self-hating gays for denying who they are.

I hold to the philosophy that no cause is so important that it has to sacrifice it's own to move forward. A person's sexuality is their own business. What a person does in the privacy of his or her own bedroom is no business of anyone. That means straight people who try to legislate it and that also means gay people who try to out their fellow gays for their own benefits.

• Members

Yes, and even NPH lived his life openly gay, but preferred not to discuss it, until Perez Hilton kept pushing-pushing-pushing. Perez tried to do the same with an actor/actress on ATWT, but he/she has mercifully failed to gratify him and remained quiet.

• Members

I just wrote Ann SS by PM, but I will say here. OutSports and some other sites went after the story on Richard. He does not want to reveal his identity right now. He is not ready to talk about it at this point. So Richard may not even be his real name. Shocking that he would allow his photo to run though.

He only played on the major league Yankees team for 1 day. He spent the other 3 years of his baseball career in the minor league Yankees team.

Archived