Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Lisa had moved on to secret Storm and only played her new role for a short time before the accident.

i think Janet was dropped once Agnes Nixon took over.

Janet was another of Irna Phillips older single gals who entered into doomed affairs with married men - see Edith Hughes and Kim Reynolds.

• Members

I've always been a little surprised that Harding Lemay did not choose to bring Janet Matthews back to the show.  Janet seems like the kind of internally conflicted character Lemay would have enjoyed writing for.  Plus, she could have provided motherly advice to Pat, Russ, and Alice after Mary Matthews died.  And Janet most certainly would have had conflicts with her sister in law, Liz.   

• Members

He probably had no idea Janet existed. 

It was a fan who actually told him about Pat’s abortion and murder trial. He wasn’t given backgrounds on most of the characters. 

I think he only knew who Liz was because Nancy Wickwire had so recently departed the show. Possibly the character was still mentioned. 

Aunt Janet and Grandma? Who dem?

Edited by antmunoz
Spelling

• Members

There were so many characters they could have brought back from the late 60s: Sam, Lahoma, Missy, Bill. The first three went to Somerset; were they played out so much on there that they couldn't be brought back? Is the Somerset spin-off one of the reasons Another World lost its history by the late 70s, 80s? Some of its late 60s history went to that show, never to be heard of again. Also I'm sure the writers and producers being ignorant of that history was another important factor. 

• Members

Yep. That seemed to be Irna's thing: the good, wholesome family with the scandalous aunt either having an affair with a married man or having an out of wedlock baby.

Still can't believe Al Bundy shot Mac 

Please register in order to view this content

I tend to believe that this is the reason. There was so much turnaround behind the scenes post Rauch/Lemay and with the Internet not existing yet, probably no one wanted to take the effort to learn the history and they just decided to do their own things.