April 6-10, 2009

Toups

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

also, why does frons still have a job? I eman up til this year i could somewhat understand. The lineup was OK. it was falling and struggling but it wasnt bottoming out. It is now. There are obvious issues that hes not taking care of. Time to give them the boot, IMHO.

and it goes without saying Guza needs to go.

• Members

I agree to some extent. I thought by now there would be a new mob war, but they have resisted their modus operandi when the ratings are shaky and I appreciate that. I haven't been fond of how the PPD storyline has been sleazed up, but it is different and like you said they have stuck with it. It was a good decision to bring Helena to shake up the boring Nikolas/Rebecca story. I wish that the summer teens were not all going to be Sonny's children, but that is the price they pay for only allowing Sonny to be the only male to procreate in that age group. GH still needs less Carly, Sonny, and Jason. It also needs another female character in her 20s so Johnny and Matt can have a love interest, but I admit that they are on the right track. They may be able to pick up steam over the summer if they stick with the family stuff and resist their mob addiction.

• Members

I feel the same way about Carlivati and his writing. He's literally destroying OLTL and I never believed he was better than Higley. There's currently no character motivation AT ALL, just insipid plotpoints and characters placed on the frontburner nobody cares about. The show has absolutely no heart and it's lost all creativity. And even with the monstrosity that is OLTL, I've seen RC write well at times so the overall problem is Frons. Too bad the execs don't seem to care about ABC Daytime else he would have gotten his pink slip years ago.

Oh, and ATWT is unwatchable.

• Members

Frons most definitely is part of the problem because it's pervasive decline across all three shows.

That said, it's time for Guza to go and maybe the fact that he only got a six month extension on his contract is an indicator that they may finally be looking at other options. I mean, even if we give Guza the benefit of the doubt that he was ever a decent writer, right now he's tapped out on ideas. Fresh eyes and new blood could certainly help.

BUT then again, why bother firing Guza if Frons will just bring in an old cronie that will still give more of the same? Frons should go first and then find new creative direction for all three shows.

• Members

IMHO, one or the other has to go. And since ABCD as a network is failing it should br frons. but honestly, all three soaps could use a new HW. However RC's biggest problem would seem to be that he cant take the mandates and make them into good story. So if frons was again perhaps he could ecel. but then again maybe he was just great at the start and that was it. Thats was all he had.

• Members

A year ago I would go crazy disagreeing with thsi post, but now I in fact agree.

Now I loved Ron before the strike and has at times loved his writing after the strike, but overall something's been different ever since he returned, and its obvious that its interference from Frons. Alot if it is Frons, he's awful as we all know, but if he's going to stay, he needs to find a writer who can transmit his vision onscreen and make it good, even though Frons's ideas are overall crappy. Ron just can't, and this is going to sound crazy, but the vibes the show just gives off seems like he's bitter and is not even trying to do well with this...I could be totally wrong, but still.

So if Frons doesn't go, Ron may need to, because OLTL is just awful right now. Yes, it won't be the greatest thing since sliced bread because of Frons' stupid ideas, but he needs to fine a writer who he really clicks with and one that can make what Frons want good onscreen.

For example, on Days, Tomlin obviously has little to no interest in the vets being central characters, and Tomlin is overall an awful writer(judging by OLTL being horrible during the strike). And any story ideas he have do not involve vets...but he has Christopher Whitesell(I'd say Higley but I think its obvious to everyone that she has little power at that show now and Whitesell is Tomlin's right hand man) to transmit that vision onscreen, and the two click well, so Days has turned GREAT(IMO). Now Tomlin is obviously ten times better than Frons will ever be, but my point remains.

Archived