Clint Ritchie has passed away

• Members

This is so tragic!

I was devastated when he retired and the VITAL and NECESSARY role of Clint was written off the show. I couldn't believe they let the character or the actor go! I always loved Clint and Viki together, hated Sloane for screwing them up, never bought Ben as a love interest for Viki... it was ALWAYS Viki & Clint for me.

Clint Ritchie was an amazing part of OLTL history and I will never forget him.

R.I.P. Clint!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sad news indeed. The Buchanan men were (and continue to be thanks to countless one night stands) the male face of the show, and it all started with Mr. Ritchie. He certainly deserves a proper send off from OLTL. How classy it would be if Erika, Bob, and Jerry said a few words followed by a short montage at the end of an upcoming episode. Speaking of class, I think an increasingly rare case of it in daytime was shown when Jerry assumed the role of Clint. Apparently, TPTB got in touch with Mr. Ritchie and let him know that they were bringing back the character he retired with a new actor. Probably not the easiest phone call to make, but my hat's off to the person who had the respect to do so.

• Members

I was so sad to see this. Clint Ritchie IS Clint Buchanan.

(For me Jerry VD is another character entirely...not Clint Buchanan...the quintessential cowboy.)

I remember his very first day on OLTL and just loved the romance with Viki....so many wonderful storylines. I loved the old west one....he even brought in his own horses for that story. That is just cool.

He never seemed quite the same to me after his awful accident at his ranch in 93.

The man was total class and will be so missed.

I guess my cowboy Clint has ridden in to the sunset for the last time.....go in peace dear soul.

My heartfelt thoughts go out to his family & friends.

• Members

And Clint Buchanan is very much Clint Ritchie. I think when they hired Clint, not only the name but the concept of Clint Buchanan was altered to fit Clint Ritchie's style and personality. Sigh. :( Actor and character are my alltime favorite on OLTL. :( And, as someone else said, from him followed Asa and Bo and, thereby, the whole Buchanan clan. One of the great things about the character of Clint was that he was a great blend of strength, intelligence and heart. He wasn't a cowboy caricature. Asa and Bo were a little more stereotypical, particularly in the early days. Today's Bo is more like Clint was from the beginning.

I keep remembering a scene when Clint, some time after being shot in the head by Jamie Sanders, had to tell Asa the bullet fragments had moved and would eventually kill him. Asa made a comment about it being wrong that a father should outlive his son. Who would have thought that would, in a sense, come to pass in real life? :( And what a strange set of circumstances whereby they play the death of a character (Asa) whose performer is still alive while his son is alive on the show but his longtime portrayer has passed.

As a soap fan, OLTL fan, and Clint fan all for many years, I think this may be the saddest passing of a daytime actor I've experienced in all that time. There have, of course, been others that have moved me a great deal (Michael Zaslow & Douglass Watson come to mind) but in terms of my affection for the character and actor, this one is tough to take. :(

• Members

Clint Ritchie was also very underrated- I think he may have gotten one emmy nomination (for the Old West storyline?)

Old fashioned actor who made it look easy.

I especially enjoy Clint Ritchie's performances from the 1985-86 Viki/Niki storyline. I have alot that I purchased on videotape from someone and there are a few episodes on Youtube...

• Members

RIP Mr. Ritchie. You have a great place in OLTL history. Your work with Erika Slezak holds great memories to me.

Range, I couldn't agree more about Jerry verDorn. I LOVED him on GL. I was thrilled for him when GL took him off contract and then he had the last laugh and snapped up a contract role on OLTL. I have met him in person and he's the nicest, kindest man.

But, sadly, he is not Clint. Whenever I see him on OLTL, I think of him as Ross with a bad accent. He doesn't fit the role of Clint.

Archived