The Suds Report: Jan. 30, 2009

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It would be easier to take Blanco seriously if he didn't go out of his way to insert those "hair model" snarks into every single column. This week's "hair models" are Kristen Connolly, Bryan Genesse, Taylor Spreitler, Tammin Sursok and the cast of Passions. :rolleyes: It's not funny or clever and it never was. No matter who he says it about, it's insulting and very off-putting. I don't even know who most of those people are and I feel sorry for them. I don't know why anyone agrees to let him interview them.

Please. He'll be back to badmouthing B&B next week.

• Members

Nelson still gets the interviews for one big reason and that is he has ties to so many different areas. I have talked to him a few times and I am still shocked when I see his name show up in some magazines. He has been out there and he has a name. The magazines are not Time or Newsweek but they are the mags that get celebrity names out there.

As someone mentioned he freelances for Hello. I know he has done interviews for Playgirl for several of the soap actors. And he gets out there on many websites and the like. I don't know how much of the way he comes off in his columns are a persona he has created for himself or what is real. I know that in conversations he does not come off the same way he does in his columns.

I look at Nelson as one big old fangurl. He has fallen into the persona in his writings before too and as much as I have prasied him for some things I have called him out on others.

I enjoy Nelson and love that he loves soaps as much as I do. Do I agree with everything he does? No. but that is him and he is entitled to do it.

• Members

And, since he is a writer and out there and thus, in essence, a public figure by virtue of his PUBLICations, we as readers have the right to call BS on his stuff and his style. Critics need to know they leave their opinions open to criticism.

• Members

I totally agree with you. Anyone in the public limelight puts themselves out there for criticism. Now I think some people go too far when they judge him and call him names. But I say that for any person in the public limelight - not just Nelson.

I think there is a big difference in cirticizing and passing judgement or name calling.

• Members

What about him calling his readers names at Daytime Confidential and on a message board that he frequents and posts his blogs weekly? He was calling them idiots and going off on them for questioning his sources. It works both ways.

• Members

I'm so with you, JP. Nelson writes the way he writes to incite reactions. I get a kick out of it, but take very little of it seriously. It's all done in such an over-the-top, flamboyant manner, that I suspect he gets a good laugh out of the way people get worked up.

Although I will say, he never should have gotten involved with the criticisms of this specific report at the other message board. That was a little dumb, in my opinion. But as for his TVGuideCanada columns, you can just tell he's trying to rile everyone up.

• Members

Of course, he totally screwed up Hayley Erin's name when bragging about her great performance as Abby in the RATINGS report. He can't even type in "the new Abby" in Google to find out her last name. How lazy.

Archived