January 19-23, 2009

Toups

• Members

I hate to keep repeating myself but just because a show does not go up or goes down is NOT the HW's fault.

Daytime is losing viewers as a whole. Just look at Y&R which IMO one of the best soaps right now but it went down. Do we balme MAB? No because shes doing her just and writing a good show. I don't understand why people blame Carlivati or Pratt. IMO OLTL deserves to go up but that dosn't mean it will same for AMC. Pratt has been able to get AMC back on track.

Gosh. Just because a couple of people don't like how a show is dosn't mean thats how everyone feels and vice versa. :rolleyes:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I actually think overall January has been a boring month for OLTL. It went from a very big November sweeps into a good December but January has been a boring month. I can tell the show is in between sweeps periods and maybe with the Red Ball things will sizzle back up in February.

• Members

Of course it's the HW fault. Y&R almost hit 4.0 last week. It has been on a role because of good writing. Even though they went down in HH's they held a 1.9 in 18-49 demo. The other soaps have been dropping or just staying stale in the ratings due to hack writers. Pratt is a hack writer too. I have seen AMC and it is still bad. That is my opinion on it and you have yours. I still say a good writer can make the ratings rise. Just look at Y&R's success the last couple of weeks. I still say it will hit a 4.0 soon.

• Members

What Soapsy said ;)

I find it hilarious that when ratings go UP the HW is immediately praised, but when ratings go down suddenly its NOT the HW's fault :rolleyes:

Yes it is the HW's fault, he/she is the one who hires the writing team, in the end it's the HW who gets the credit for what we see onscreen

• Members

I love how the word "hack" is thrown around. I also love how B&B is never mentioned in the same breath. B&B has the most embarrassing dialogue and acting on TELEVISION. Period. Every bad stereotype in the book. And in the process- kicks all the other shows asses (other than Y&R of course) in the ratings.

Y&R and OLTL have bored me to tears this week. Y&R's episode today was so LAZY- Especially the "cliffhanger" with Eden. I did enjoy Brad and Sharon's final scene though. OLTL showed some life today, especially with the cinematic level editing of Nora in the courtroom. Other than that both my shows were yawnworthy.

I am sad to say that B&B's storyline involving the two fashion houses was the most watchable storyline this week. Despite the horrendous acting and ridculous dialogue. And no more of this "OH, BUT THAT'S B&B's old fashioned writing style". Puh-leeze- It is soap opera cliched script writing at its worst.

Martha, Martha, Martha- Can you bring some intelligent, NATURAL dialogue to this stilted show?

• Members

On the topic of sucky writing= bad ratings-

DOOL?

What is the consensus where this show is concerned as far as writing quality (Drake and Diedre taken out of the picture)

Is the show any good?? I never hear much about it.

I have never watched Days other than during the Eileen Davidson Mary Moira/Susan/ect stuff for a few months years ago. I fast forwarded everything else.

• Members

Eh, I don't mention B&B because IMO the show is a huge joke. It has some good actors...Tom, Flannery, Cook but the stories are repetitive and just dumb in most cases.

Days has been hitting the 3 million mark lately. I dont find the show that bad but I am not a Days fan so that may be why. Let's see how the ratings will be without Dee and Drake on.

• Members

the hacks at Y & R are regurgitating old storylines and and can not come up with anything new it is sad...the only good thing happening on the show is Katherine! nobody cares about Sharon and Nick cheating AGAIN, nobody cares that Victor is still after Jack and Jack is after Victor...same ole same ole!! too bad DD got some of his best scenes in YEARS in the last two days he was on screen!

• Members

Looks like a shitty week in the ratings for soaps except Y&R and DAYS. B&B and GL have not been posted yet. Its possible none of the soaps benefited in the ratings from MLK Day.

AMC and OLTL is stuck in that 1.9-2.1 range. Same fuckin' rating every week like someone posted before. OLTL is getting interesting though and I hope it reflects that in February's ratings.

AMC really needs to under go some major changes like for one putting it in HD b/c that camera just plain sucks.

Y&R was sort of spotty that week. The Nick/Sharon/Phyllis stuff is killing the show right now. Just focus on the new storylines surrounded around Katherine.

I hope it does too, B&B needs some consistency in their writing as they have a lot of these slow weeks, but last week was classic soap as its best.

• Members

I agree, it looks like based on the early reports of a 2.2, that the show got a boost with either a 2.3 or 2.4 on MLK Day or Friday when they left. The episode itself was not a memorable one for the supercouple. Either way DAYS has turned it around big time in comparison when they were hanging around last place with GL and their future very uncertain.

• Members

You better duck Marla!!! :) I have never heard anyone call Y&R's esteemed writers hacks EVER. :) (I kind of like it because its different)

I am totally down with Katherine/Jill/Esther/Clint- that whole thing is classic Y&R. Perfect use of history and current stuff. And they even found a way to make Screechy bearable. That being Am-BAH. I actually think the Katherine storyline is the BEST storyline on soaps in 10 or 15 years. It is very much a Bill Bell storyline, even the way it is being plotted. He was the plotting MASTER and always will be.

As far as the rest of the show- Blah. Is has its moments, but many of the characters are starting to grate. And if you don't enjoy the Fishers, Y&R can be tough going at times. But Y&R is arguably the best soap on the air.

• Members

Yes- I have read that she is a serious emmy contender this year. Which for Days and actors, is rare.

All I know from what I read ( I stopped watching Dena's stuff very early at OLTL) is that Dena writes very average, standard, plot driven and event driven soap opera. You are not going to find much heart or soul.

Archived