Let's Talk Production Values

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was just watching OLTL on SoapNet and Vicki's living room set came on. OMG! It's the UGLIEST living room set I've EVER SEEN. Why are three bookshelves in that living room? It makes it look like a USED BOOKSTORE.

I would understand if Vicki had those bookshelves in a study or something, but in a living room?

Also, it's way to cluttered and small. And the glass door on the left side that leads to the backyard or wherever is severely misplaced.

• Members

Well, Viki does usually refer to that room as the library.

I do remember it being larger once upon a time, at least it seemed so in the '80s and '90s before Tori torched the place. They also built the Florida room and kitchen sets that add more dimension to the place.

And as for ugly, thank God you missed the flower wallpaper period, egad.

• Members

^Yes, the wallpaper is a tacky green colour in Vicki's living room/library too.

The glass door exit/entrance in that room bugs me too, as I mentioned before. Especially when you consider Vicki's front door isn't far at all from her living room/library. Also, there's an entrance/exit in Vicki's kitchen. Too many entrances/exits in that house!

I have seen the living room set used in the 80's and it was much more spacious and better decorated.

• Members

thank you!

I love exterior shots. Anyone remember when for a good amount of time between scenes on days you would get those shots. Like if theyw ere cutting to the hospital you would see a wing or the front of University Hospital. or any house. I loved it. And if it was at night the shots always matched, some even had rain in them from time to time. If i had to pick a time frame id say this about 2002.

• Members

^^Compared to AMC and especially GH- OLTL looks like the Taj Mahal!

Hey guys! I found some AWESOME OLTL background music from the Linda Gottlieb era. This was one of the pieces that the Elizabeth Swados wrote and the orchestra did during the Loon Lake storyline when Alex tried to drown Cassie- It is fantastic.

It is also a hilariously scary scene involving Alex terrorizing Addie, and also we get to see Blair before her new ethnicity!

Merry Christmas!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdvJxIshgiY

• Members

More ramblings on B&B's..

One of the houses I like is the Marone house/mansion, which is ironic that Nick has it considering was just a sailor. But I guess Massimo would've had a hand in the mansion, if it wasn't already his when Nick came around, I don't remember. I really like the big staircase that wraps around the room. It may be a little cramped, but I like how it feels.

The only other rooms we ever see are bedrooms. Not really any kitchens or other living areas.

If they did decide to bring back Jackie's Spectra then they could use the old set from when DC was still around, if they still have it. I think I remember it being pretty open and airy.

• Members

Massimo was the one who bought or built the mansion - he didn't say which - right before he married Jackie, and he unveiled the new home to both his bride-to-be and the world when he held their wedding there. When Jackie was released from the hospital after her fall from the Forrester balcony, Nick brought her to the mansion to recover. Jackie asked how they could live in Massimo's home; Nick explained that Mass had placed the title to the house in Marone Industries' name, so Nick controlled the house as Marone's CEO. When Nick was ousted as Marone's CEO, he acquired the house as well as Forrester Creations from Marone. By the time Nick moved in, he was already comfortable in the business world from working under Massimo, which is probably why he just kept the house as it was when his father got it.

Come to think of it, aren't most of the B&B houses living rooms and bedrooms? There used to be a kitchen set for the Forrester mansion, but I can't remember that last time it showed up.

I thought Spectra was designed as kind of the opposite of Forrester, highlighting the differences between the two companies. Forrester, the prestigious high class fashion house, had the grand executive area with Eric's office and its painted windows, Ridge's skylight office and the office that was originally Stephanie's that later went to Brooke. Meanwhile, Spectra had its outer office where Darla sat right off the elevators, and Sally's office behind it. It seemed more sparse than Forrester, as befitting Specta being a knock-off house, although that changed a bit when Jackie bought it and brought in that bathtub.

• Members

You must have never saw any of AMC's first decade on the air! At that time the show had to be THE CHEAPEST looking soap on TV! It is well documented that the sets in the early years were so cheap that they often fell apart during taping...the old studio's actual walls were so thin that a lot of retaping had to be done because the microphones would pick up the noise coming from real-life New York City traffic on the streets outside! Even though the prodcution values of AMC in the 1970's was painfully piss-poor, it was never something that distracted the viewing experience because Agnes Nixon's storytelling was so fresh, innovative, addictive, well-thought-out, and compelling...the show succeeded sorely on the basis on strong writing, rich characterizations, and great acting.

AMC's production values didn't really improve until the magical year of 1978(which is also the year of my birth :D I guess once the show went to #1 in the ratings ABC let more money flow for production.

• Members

I think I remember a kitchen, but I don't know the last time it was used either.

I liked the Spectra set. It just seemed more open, and yes, sparse. But then look at Eric's office which is dark with lots of things in it. The Spectra one seemed to have more "natural" light.

• Members

there was a kitchen, I believe it was where Brooke and Stephanie had their first encounter. They also had the dining room section that was part of the foyer (walking in to the set, to the left of the front door), that I cant remember the last time it was shown.

Archived