The Suds Report: Dec. 19, 2008

• Members

I wanna say Y&R is the soap telling some of their flaming leading men (Remember who's won Outstanding Lead Actor twice in the past few years) to tone it down because Y&R has a *huge* following in the bible belt; conservative folks who've watched the show since day one and enjoy watching the once-provocative soap remain in the 1970's mindset.

Though I don't like the idea that Ellen Wheeler is restricting some storylines because of *her* individual views, it wouldn't have made sense for Olivia to "turn" gay. That woman has always been a c*ck-hungry hound!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not to mention that any such storyline would probably have sucked massively, which is why I'm kind of stunned by the outrage. Let's count our blessings. David Kreizman is officially not doing a "gay couple" story. That's a good thing people!

• Members

I'm not against any woman or man turning gay or seeking out affection from a same sex partner at any point in their life - as long as it makes sense.

I was a big fan of the story that Agnes Nixon and Wisner Washam did when they had Devon seek out the affections of Lynn Carson. The groundwork was laid and it made sense for Devon to do it and why she was confused.

With Olivia it just doesnt' make any sense at all.

• Members

I think it would have made a lot of sense for Olivia, especially because of the Gus connection and how much Natalia had taken care of her. When I heard about it, I was like, Great idea, why didn't someone think about this sooner? Olivia has always pushed away the men in her life and this would also make sense retroactively as a contributing factor to why she has done so.

• Members

This is hard for me to respond to unemotionally, but suffice it to say I hope this is not true about Ellen Wheeler. I may not like the sound of everything I hear she has done at GL, but I have a soft spot for her as an actress and I have genuinely believed she wants to do good things at GL. I have not watched GL in years, though, so I have no idea who this character is that may have become involved with Olivia, but I agree that Olivia as a lesbian in the literal definition of the term (a woman who is solely or even primarily attracted to other women) does not jive with how she has been portrayed in the past. If that's what the show had in mind, then the story should have been vetoed for being illogical. Although, the term is often used carelessly to refer to bisexual women and/or women who have had sexual experiences with other women, regardless of attraction, and if that's what this meant than the concept of Olivia becoming involved with a woman in such a way that did not negate her past relationships with men could have been a compelling story. Although, in that case, if reps from the show were the ones who got the language wrong, it suggests GL was not ready to tackle such a story responsibly.

Well, as far as Ellen Wheeler, that AW interview pre-dates her time on AMC. I find it hard to believe AMC would have really cast an actress to play the first longterm character with AIDS on daytime without making sure she isn't a homophobe? It's weird enough that the first PWA on a soap (on Another World) was played by an actress named "Barbara Bush." Surely AMC would not have wanted a loose cannon who might say something offensive in an interview, and risk alienating the gay community at the same time they were getting god knows what kind of flak from the bigots for doing an AIDS story? The show may have even envisioned cast members in the story line potentially doing some sort of publicity/outreach with AIDS organizations - I don't think they would want someone who couldn't represent the show diplomatically?

• Members

I agree. I find it very offensive how it seems to be a trend these days to have a same sex experience just for the sake of trend setting. That for one is not the right reason....

I mean look on t.v these days and pop culture. Most shows/movies have a gay character. Its "in" to be gay. I mean I find the song catchy but Katy Perry's I kissed A Girl is just commenting on that trend.

Archived