The Politics Thread

• Members

the RP has the candidate they have wanted for 70yrs or more....a racist, sexist, misogynistic, bigoted, lying, hateful beyond lousy businessman....and now all of them act like he is the one who has destroyed that party. IMPO this started when Eisenhower picked Richard Nixon as his VP and has slowly been going downhill since then. that party deserves not only him but Limbaugh, Savage, Alex Jones, Roger Stone, all of Fox News, Joe Scarborough, Katrina Pierson, all the bigoted hateful right wing people nationwide and the entire republican majority in state congresses and DC. I have NO sorrows for them.....and this is the turning point this country needs. Too bad we have MSNBC, CNN & Fox News on our air who do nothing but push garbage in the sake of ratings....not journalism. 

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

What on Earth are you talking about? I don't hate HRC. I happen to adore Bill Clinton for that matter (he's still a shameless liar). The fact that you would say that is so far out there, I can't even comprehend it. It's laughable that you are saying I'm the emotional one in this discussion.  Just because I don't put blinders on does not mean I hate the woman, far from it. On a personal level I like her.  That doesn't mean I think she has been honest over the years. Of course, I'm voting for her. Trump is a monster.  I've never voted for a Republican and I doubt I ever will in this lifetime.

Preaching to me about Bush makes no sense because he's not running. All of the awful things he did has no bearing about the culture of dishonesty that surrounded the first Clinton administration or HRC's credibility. Sorry, but I'm not really looking forward to a retread of the days when the definition of terms like "sexual relations" are in dispute. Not after being spoiled by having an ethical leader for the last 8 years.

• Members

Every politician that has run for or held the White House over the past decade has made statements that were untrue...yes, even Bernie!  There was an organization that checked a handful of politicians and put out a chart, which I posted many threads back, showing that Hillary, to my shock, had told the least amount of false statements. Bernie had told more, even though, his statements were considered to be of relatively small consequence. Even Obama registered slightly more than Hillary, even though, again, his false statements were considered relatively inconsequential.  These three, of course, paled in comparison to Trump whose numbers were pretty big on the falsehood meter.

Speaking of lies, Trump's latest is about how supposedly he saw video of the U.S. paying ransom to the Iranians for the Navy personnel that had been held as hostages. Another video that Trump claims to be 'out there', that in reality, does not exist.  The video is merely footage of the Navy personnel being released. No money was exchanged.

By the way, the billions of dollars that U.S. paid, they owed Iran, since the time of the Shah, decades ago for services rendered for oil! Did Iran time it so that their demand coincide with the release of the Navy personnel? Probably, since we know how dearly they want to save face. Was that money legitimately owed to them? Yes. No matter who tries to frame it as a ransom, it was not a ransom, it was collection of an overdue debt.

Edited by DramatistDreamer
to capitalize the word Navy

• Members

Sure, all politicians stretch the truth and make pie in the sky campaign promises.  Trump is doing more than that. I truly think he's mentally ill. Some of the conspiracy theory stuff he's said is plain nutty.  The Clinton's have lied about ethical issues (deny, deny, deny), which I see as very different than pretending we can create jobs for everyone. I give HRC a pass on that stuff.  GWB probably should have gone to jail, if we really need to bring him into it. Obama lied the way politicians always do, which almost seems quaint compared to the rest.

• Members

Trump lies about everything. He even claimed that he told the RNC to have their convention in Ohio even though the site was selected long before he declared his candidacy. At this point, I think a cognitive exam is necessary because I suspect he's dealing with the onset of dementia. If he is, the stress of the next few months will only make it worse. Unfortunately, there's no way to force him to seek medical help.

• Members

That's a generous perspective. I think he's such a narcissist he thinks he can make reality what he wants it to be or at least convince the public that reality is what he says it is.  Thank god, it looks like you're right and HRC is going to win, but I find it deeply disturbing that he's pulling the wool over so many people's eyes.

One very positive thing about HRC winning is that she's getting the last laugh on all of the people who tried to force her into a traditional first lady role years ago. Remember when she made that crack about not staying home and baking cookies? Not long after that she was basically forced to drop her maiden name. I think she even went on some morning show and baked cookies to mitigate the backlash, if I'm remembering right.  I hope she says a little silent f*ck you to those people when she takes office. I give her lots of credit for staying the course and making it happen.

• Members

I don't think Trump has dementia, he's merely a narcissist with delusions of grandeur. He has been behaving like this for years, it's just that the presidential campaign has allowed it be put on full display. Being a narcissist with delusions is a mental health issue, but at the same time Trump doesn't appear to be mentally incapacitated. He's mentally disturbed, but he still knows what he is doing.

• Members

I imagine that is the real heart of the hatred of Hillary.    She showed up on TV in 1992 and said she would not be Tammy Wynette, and half of America went all "whoahhh" and recoiled.   Then he said "buy one get one free" and a lot of people didn't want one free.   It's tough to think back 25 years ago what was happening with women in politics.    There was Sandra Day O'Connor, but on the national scene not sure who else.  It didn't help that Barbara Bush said Geraldine Ferraro was a word that rhymed with witch (wasn't that BB who said that?).    Women have such a tough road they have to walk, it has taken a long time.   I give her a lot of credit:  she took the attacks 25 years to get where she is.    I think she will eventually be seen as the most important woman of the last 50 years.   I would also say Billie Jean King deserves a lot of respect because even before Hillary, Billie Jean led the fight almost single handedly for women in sports and it was important culturally to show that a woman could do what a man could do. 

• Members

1992 was seen as the "year of the woman," as a lot of female Democrats ran for office due to anger over the Clarence Thomas hearings. The idea was that this would lead to real change, but the backlash in 1993 and 1994 buried that for a long time.

• Members

Trump is a narcissist who - a lot of people have been saying this, I don't know if it's true, I'm just saying, there's a lot of talk[/Trump] - is allegedly a habitual user of Phen-Fen and/or barely legal prescription amphetamines, which he has used for years and years. He boasts of barely sleeping four hours a night and he pops these pills like candy to keep him going.

That is what powers his engine. Also: A new Marist poll has Hillary at 48% and Trump at 33.