The Politics Thread

• Members

I agree, but that seems to be where she is likely to go in her present condition.

I'm glad the recall election in California seems to have cratered (for now anyway) as I'm guessing replacing Feinstein was one of the primary goals.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I watched the interview on Lawrence this evening with the guy from AP.  It sounded a little more hopeful although I still think Manchin is an attention whore but unlike Sinema he's not stupid. His comments about the senate being the most deliberative body in the world sounded out of touch. It hasn't been for many years. But it doesn't seem like Biden has taken Manchin or Dopey Sinema to task yet and I believe that's because of others like his buddy Chris Coons in the senate.

• Members

Biden shot a pretty hard broadside at them on national television. That's not nothing. And even Coons, I believe, is shifting on the filibuster.

I think Manchin is in love with his image and the sound of his own voice. But for him to go out there and filibuster on his own on TV, as he loves to do, and then repeatedly refuse to say he would say no to killing the filibuster - that's not nothing either. That is movement.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Lieberman also won by running to the right of a liberal Republican. I don't know who or what Sinema thinks she is basing herself on.

Meanwhile, Politico and others are spinning the jobs report as bad for Biden. I could argue they're wrong, but it's hard for me to react as much at this point, as I feel like we're slowly drowning in inaction, good or bad numbers. I'm mostly just sad that this will be used as fodder (as anything would be) by Republicans who want to take away unemployment benefits and see more poor people and their children suffer and die. 

• Members

They're not going to be able to successfully spin the jobs report as bad for Biden, lol. Nobody is buying that today.

Meanwhile:

I think the only reason this is being drug out is to ensure they have 51 votes, then it ends. Here's why:

• Members

Most people won't see it as outright bad, but it's something else which can be used to nick at what is left of Biden's original agenda and undercut public patience or support. Already this has been used to further undermine support for expanded unemployment benefits, which are no longer going to be extended past August, if they ever were. That means more of a default press and public position gets right wing framing, which is good for the GOP in the midterms and beyond, and bad for the early Biden plans that weren't as focused on austerity politics. 

• Members

His public polling and support is still pretty good. My unemployment benefits as a freelancer don't end until September, which is when they were always intended to end.

The media will always use right wing framing. But as many articles have noted, Biden is teflon and the right has been unable to lay a glove on him so far. As it is though, no, at present there is no general consensus forming in the mainstream media that the jobs report is bad for Biden. Politico doing its usual concern trolling of Dems, which is all it has done since its inception under Mark Halperin (now exiled to Newsmax), does not mean that the mass media focus is that or the public has bought it. Because that's not the case. Politico does this all the time, but only certain narratives take hold in the larger public.

Edited by Vee

• Members

The majority of the population don't follow the garbage media(local news I would say more). I would guarantee 99% of Americans have no idea who Politico is and don't spend time watching cable news TV( how many people our of 330,000,000 watch).  What people know is how they feel which is optimism with COVID19 retreating. This has had the biggest impact on our lives and spending is up.

• Members

Also, Biden's polling still stands at over 60 percent. That's from the Hill, which is a Republican talking point wurlitzer.

Voters on the right do watch and obsess over Fox News. It's a real issue. But their voters aren't the issue, because their voting bloc is too small to win. The real threat is gerrymandering.

Edited by Vee