Jump to content

The Politics Thread


Toups

Recommended Posts

  • Members
2 hours ago, lovely_m said:

 

This has been known for years. I don't know why it never got discussed in larger circles, other than the fact that there is no will for it in mainstream media. 

Bernie's lack of ability to fund raise for other candidates never gets discussed, nor the fact that Obama campaigned for him when Obama barely got in the Senate yet Bernie never returned the favor. 

Democrats need to seriously think about how bad Bernie would be for candidates down the ballot and how vital it is for Democrats to maintain the House and take the Senate. If Democrats allow someone incapable of lifting other candidates on the ballot, they're dumber than within the realm of imagination.

Say what you will about Biden, Warren...most of the other candidates in the race have all raised quite a bit of money for other candidates in Congress. Hell, Kamala Harris raised a sh*t ton of money for others, while nobody could be bothered to return the favor.

I'm still waiting to hear when Bernie has done this for anyone but himself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 38.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Vee

    5093

  • Khan

    3055

  • DRW50

    5089

  • DramatistDreamer

    4771

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Members
3 hours ago, lovely_m said:

 

Back in 2016, I turned a whole black beauty shop against Bernie just by telling them he wanted to make Obama a one term president. He went from "who's that?" to "hell no!" before I even got under the dryer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

JMO but I think that Joe Biden should cease from doing this type of things. If people start putting this in the context of the other times he's done it, he could be further inflicting damage to his own campaign, far more than his opponents past and present could inflict. This seems totally unnecessary.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
2 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

JMO but I think that Joe Biden should cease from doing this type of things. If people start putting this in the context of the other times he's done it, he could be further inflicting damage to his own campaign, far more than his opponents past and present could inflict. This seems totally unnecessary.

 

Agree.  Not only because the story in question is likely untrue, but also because (to me) it comes across as pandering to POC.  (Relax, Uncle Joe.  We've got your back.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 minute ago, Khan said:

 

Agree.  Not only because the story in question is likely untrue, but also because (to me) it comes across as pandering to POC.  (Relax, Uncle Joe.  We've got your back.)

 

Black people absolutely.  Latinos seem to gravitate more towards Bernie Sanders and I'm not sure about other ethnic groups.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
35 minutes ago, marceline said:

If Sanders is the nominee then that means we end up with President Pence because Trump isn't going to be functional for much longer. This Twitter account does a pretty good job of tracking his decline.

 

If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times: the Donald Trump of 2000(-ish)-today is NOT the Donald Trump that I remember from my childhood in the 1980's.

 

I'm not suggesting he became a racist, misogynist pig overnight.  I'm sure those (and other) qualities were always there.  In fact, Trump's history says they were, even before the success of "The Apprentice" emboldened him to unleash them on the American public.

 

However, there was a time when Trump was not only able to camouflage better his worst ideologies and impulses, but also when he was just plain more cognizant and coherent as well.  I mean, even The Great and Powerful Donald J. Trump cannot hide the fact that he no longer speaks in complete sentences, or that those "sentences" no logically follow one another.  And the longer he stays in office, the worse that (and other) problems become.

 

Make no mistake: there is something physiologically wrong with our current president.  Just as there was when Woodrow Wilson had suffered a debilitating stroke (in October, 1919) and it was left up to his wife, Edith, to act covertly on her husband's behalf -- making her, essentially, our first female president -- while concealing, with his physician, the seriousness of his condition.  Should Trump's health decline any further, I've no doubt in my mind that Mike Pence, Melania Trump and/or the rest of Trump's immediate family would collude in a similar fashion.

 

30 minutes ago, lovely_m said:

Black people absolutely.  Latinos seem to gravitate more towards Bernie Sanders and I'm not sure about other ethnic groups.

 

Remember, though, African-American voters (and especially AA female voters) came out the strongest for Hillary Clinton four years ago; and Joe Biden is much more beloved by our community than Hillary ever was.  Asians and Latinos might be the fastest growing ethnic and/or racial groups in this country; however, African-Americans remain the backbone of the Democratic party.  (At least, that's what I tell myself, whenever I experience another panic attack over the thought of Bernie Sanders becoming the party's nominee.)

Edited by Khan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I can't stand Bloomberg and one reason is this. He claims he has a warehouse full of oppo research on Sanders. Where the heck is it? And this Obama nuggets is the easiest one to fully turn off black voters period and a lot of white voters(not sure about latino). So why isn't Bloomberg dropping these bombs in commercials? Are they afraid those people would gravitate to Warren who is likely more electable?

 

Everytime I hear people saying Sanders it the most popular politician in America I think people forget the one who really is - Barack Obama.

Edited by JaneAusten
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
2 minutes ago, JaneAusten said:

I can't stand Bloomberg and one reason is this. He claims he has a warehouse full of oppo research on Sanders. Where the heck is it?

 

That's what I'd love to know.  If you're running for president, because you believe Donald Trump is destroying the country, and you don't believe Bernie Sanders could win against him in the election, then show us the damn goods, Mr. Mayor, or STFU!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
5 minutes ago, Khan said:

 

That's what I'd love to know.  If you're running for president, because you believe Donald Trump is destroying the country, and you don't believe Bernie Sanders could win against him in the election, then show us the damn goods, Mr. Mayor, or STFU!

I really think it is about Warren. He clearly hates her and he donated to both GOP opponents she ran against. He's waiting for her to drop out. He also donated to a bunch of GOP senate candidates in 2016 as well. Barf!!

Edited by JaneAusten
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
3 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

JMO but I think that Joe Biden should cease from doing this type of things. If people start putting this in the context of the other times he's done it, he could be further inflicting damage to his own campaign, far more than his opponents past and present could inflict. This seems totally unnecessary.

 

I wonder what compels him to tell these lies. He must know he's going to be fact checked. He's been caught before. I don't know, it's just the strangest thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
23 minutes ago, Juliajms said:

I wonder what compels him to tell these lies. He must know he's going to be fact checked. He's been caught before. I don't know, it's just the strangest thing.

 

I believe it to be desperation on the part of Joe Biden and his campaign staff.  IIRC, Biden's performances in the IA caucus and NH primary fell below even their own meager expectations.  That, along with the media's CONSTANT touting of Bernie Sanders as the new frontrunner, while emphasizing over and over again how Biden's campaign is "on the ropes," has them running scared.  Unfortunately, in their determination to course-correct, they're now in danger of losing the part of Biden's base that the Democrats need most to win against the GOP -- and all before that part has even had a real opportunity to make their voices heard in this primary season, too!

 

In a way, it reminds me of how Brian Williams' lie-telling ultimately cost him his job as anchor of "NBC Nightly News."  Even after Williams had ascended to the post and became the most-watched network news anchor, there was still lingering sentiment within the NBC News organization that he was a lightweight and also-ran to his successor, the esteemed Tom Brokaw.  Ergo, I think Williams began his truth-stretching game largely as a way to prove he was, indeed, qualified to be the virtual face and voice of NBC News -- a move that, in the end, banished him right back to cable news.  (Of course, Williams didn't help his cause any by yukking it up on late-night shows and "30 Rock."  When the audience loves you more as a comedian than they do as a news anchor, you're in trouble.  But, I guess that's beside the point, lol.)

Edited by Khan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
3 hours ago, marceline said:

If Sanders is the nominee then that means we end up with President Pence because Trump isn't going to be functional for much longer. This Twitter account does a pretty good job of tracking his decline.

 

 

I don't think Pence can beat Sanders. He has the charisma of a rock. I think back to the Romney vote on impeachment. Mark my words, he will be the choice. We can say it was a principled vote but it was also calculated. The GOP knows Trump is on his way WAY WAY down.

2 hours ago, Khan said:

 

I believe it to be desperation on the part of Joe Biden and his campaign staff.  IIRC, Biden's performances in the IA caucus and NH primary fell below even their own meager expectations.  That, along with the media's CONSTANT touting of Bernie Sanders as the new frontrunner, while emphasizing over and over again how Biden's campaign is "on the ropes," has them running scared.  Unfortunately, in their determination to course-correct, they're now in danger of losing the part of Biden's base that the Democrats need most to win against the GOP -- and all before that part has even had a real opportunity to make their voices heard in this primary season, too!

 

In a way, it reminds me of how Brian Williams' lie-telling ultimately cost him his job as anchor of "NBC Nightly News."  Even after Williams had ascended to the post and became the most-watched network news anchor, there was still lingering sentiment within the NBC News organization that he was a lightweight and also-ran to his successor, the esteemed Tom Brokaw.  Ergo, I think Williams began his truth-stretching game largely as a way to prove he was, indeed, qualified to be the virtual face and voice of NBC News -- a move that, in the end, banished him right back to cable news.  (Of course, Williams didn't help his cause any by yukking it up on late-night shows and "30 Rock."  When the audience loves you more as a comedian than they do as a news anchor, you're in trouble.  But, I guess that's beside the point, lol.)

Now come on Sanders is right now the frontrunner. As for Biden, the media bent over backwards for months at the expense of Castro, Booker , and especially HARRIS. This is Biden's third rodeo. If he sweeps the southern states he's easily back in the game. If he wins SC, I would love to see commercials with Bernie threatening to challenge Obama

Edited by JaneAusten
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

How do y’all know it’ll be Pence and not Ivanka or Nikki Haley as Trump’s running mate? I honestly feel any republican running can beat Bernie. Bernie is literally tweeting that he doesn’t need the Democratic establishment. His small base can’t overtake everybody and you can’t convince people to vote for you by constantly saying you don’t need them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Recent Posts

    • I'm pretty sure Chris was present when Kay Chancellor kicked the Fosters out of her house, after Jill, thinking she'd inherited the house from Phillip, moved the whole whip-stitch tribe to Foothill Road.  Wasn't there a big scene where Kay waltzed in and tossed all of them out.    Kay Chancellor and Lorie Brooks had a couple of scenes in 1979.  It was a complicated storyline.  Kay was "dead", having been "killed" in a fire at the sanitarium.  In reality, Kay had survived of course and was staying in the Foster home with Liz.  For several weeks, Liz was the only person who knew Kay was still alive; they had Kay's funeral and everything.  Jill was married to Stuart Brooks and was trying to bilk a divorce settlement from him.  Stuart was anxious to get rid of Jill and was willing to pay a premium to get her butt out of his house.  Brock had revealed to Lorie that, in his opinion, Jill was planning to extort a settlement from Stuart and then run away with Derek Thurston, profiting financially first from Stuart and then secondly from Derek.  Not knowing Derek Thurston, Lorie wasn't sure if this account was valid or not, but she HATED Jill and wanted to be sure Jill got $0 settlement from Mr. Brooks.  Liz babbled to Kay that Stuart was in the process of writing Jill a check for $150,000 to get rid of her .  Kay Chancellor, knowing how Lorie felt about Jill, called Lorie on the phone and said, "Lorie, this is Kay Chancellor.  No, I'm not dead.  Everyone just THINKS I am.  Now, lissssen to me, Lorie. Take the check that your father has written to Jill and rip it to shreds.  Tell Jill to just GO.  She's already made plans to swindle a fortune from my husband.  But I'll stop that as well, and she will get nothing.  Ab-so-lute-ly nothing."  Lorie snatched the check away from Jill and ripped it up.  Jill left Stuart's house with nothing at all, and then Kay herself interrupted Jill's next foray -- a wedding to Derek.  Kay and Lorie were pleased that they'd stymied both of Jill's get-rich-quick schemes.  I don't recall Jennifer Brooks ever interacting with Kay.  It would've been superfluous, as they were the same prototype character -- the vain, wealthy, society matron who depended upon male companionship for validation of their fading beauty.  I expect Bill Bell thought it would be wise to keep them separated, as Kay was simply a more flamboyant version of Jennifer.    
    • She was always fun when she appeared on Larry King Live dishing about old Hollywood. She was a good friend of Dame Joan Collins, who posted this tribute. 96 is quite a fabulous run.  
    • Hardly a week goes by without a network or streamer announcing some sort of reboot or re-imagining of an old TV series. So before the well runs dry I'm challenging our talented posters to submit their own. You can be as creative as you like, adhering to the original concept or using it as a starting point. If you have casting ideas, please include. Should be fun. To get things started Barnaby Jones (original 1973-80)Barnaby Jones is  a formerly retired investigator who with widowed daughter-in-law, run a private detective firm in LA. Jeddediah Jones, a much younger cousin Barnaby eventually joined the firm. Reboot Barnaby Jones is a 50 something silver fox who likes to use 'traditional' detective methods to solve crimes. Luckily his beautiful Asian  American daughter in law Betty Lin Jones is a tech wiz and can often step in to assist Barnaby. Also in the cast Barnaby's nephew Jed a 20 something Latin male who sparks some sexual tension with Betty. Harte to Harte  Original Hart to Hart  79-84 Self-made millionaire Jonathan and freelance writer Jennifer are the Harts - a globetrotting married couple with a talent for finding mysteries wherever they go.  Reboot Jonathan Harte is a young black tech billionaire who together with his influencer wife Gennifer play amateur detectives. Get the idea? Looking forward to your concepts.
    • I am one of those people. I find Dr. Ding's tone unhelpful. 
    • Brian McGovern  ALL MY CHILDREN       Frank       1992 Frederic Rolf ALL MY CHILDREN      Bela Szekely     1992 Robert Trumbull ALL MY CHILDREN      Dr. Kennedy     1993  
  • On Soap Opera Network

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy