The Politics Thread

• Members

This has been known for years. I don't know why it never got discussed in larger circles, other than the fact that there is no will for it in mainstream media. 

Bernie's lack of ability to fund raise for other candidates never gets discussed, nor the fact that Obama campaigned for him when Obama barely got in the Senate yet Bernie never returned the favor. 

Democrats need to seriously think about how bad Bernie would be for candidates down the ballot and how vital it is for Democrats to maintain the House and take the Senate. If Democrats allow someone incapable of lifting other candidates on the ballot, they're dumber than within the realm of imagination.

Say what you will about Biden, Warren...most of the other candidates in the race have all raised quite a bit of money for other candidates in Congress. Hell, Kamala Harris raised a sh*t ton of money for others, while nobody could be bothered to return the favor.

I'm still waiting to hear when Bernie has done this for anyone but himself.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

JMO but I think that Joe Biden should cease from doing this type of things. If people start putting this in the context of the other times he's done it, he could be further inflicting damage to his own campaign, far more than his opponents past and present could inflict. This seems totally unnecessary.

• Members

If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times: the Donald Trump of 2000(-ish)-today is NOT the Donald Trump that I remember from my childhood in the 1980's.

I'm not suggesting he became a racist, misogynist pig overnight.  I'm sure those (and other) qualities were always there.  In fact, Trump's history says they were, even before the success of "The Apprentice" emboldened him to unleash them on the American public.

However, there was a time when Trump was not only able to camouflage better his worst ideologies and impulses, but also when he was just plain more cognizant and coherent as well.  I mean, even The Great and Powerful Donald J. Trump cannot hide the fact that he no longer speaks in complete sentences, or that those "sentences" no logically follow one another.  And the longer he stays in office, the worse that (and other) problems become.

Make no mistake: there is something physiologically wrong with our current president.  Just as there was when Woodrow Wilson had suffered a debilitating stroke (in October, 1919) and it was left up to his wife, Edith, to act covertly on her husband's behalf -- making her, essentially, our first female president -- while concealing, with his physician, the seriousness of his condition.  Should Trump's health decline any further, I've no doubt in my mind that Mike Pence, Melania Trump and/or the rest of Trump's immediate family would collude in a similar fashion.

Remember, though, African-American voters (and especially AA female voters) came out the strongest for Hillary Clinton four years ago; and Joe Biden is much more beloved by our community than Hillary ever was.  Asians and Latinos might be the fastest growing ethnic and/or racial groups in this country; however, African-Americans remain the backbone of the Democratic party.  (At least, that's what I tell myself, whenever I experience another panic attack over the thought of Bernie Sanders becoming the party's nominee.)

Edited by Khan

• Members

I can't stand Bloomberg and one reason is this. He claims he has a warehouse full of oppo research on Sanders. Where the heck is it? And this Obama nuggets is the easiest one to fully turn off black voters period and a lot of white voters(not sure about latino). So why isn't Bloomberg dropping these bombs in commercials? Are they afraid those people would gravitate to Warren who is likely more electable?

Everytime I hear people saying Sanders it the most popular politician in America I think people forget the one who really is - Barack Obama.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

That's what I'd love to know.  If you're running for president, because you believe Donald Trump is destroying the country, and you don't believe Bernie Sanders could win against him in the election, then show us the damn goods, Mr. Mayor, or STFU!

• Members

I believe it to be desperation on the part of Joe Biden and his campaign staff.  IIRC, Biden's performances in the IA caucus and NH primary fell below even their own meager expectations.  That, along with the media's CONSTANT touting of Bernie Sanders as the new frontrunner, while emphasizing over and over again how Biden's campaign is "on the ropes," has them running scared.  Unfortunately, in their determination to course-correct, they're now in danger of losing the part of Biden's base that the Democrats need most to win against the GOP -- and all before that part has even had a real opportunity to make their voices heard in this primary season, too!

In a way, it reminds me of how Brian Williams' lie-telling ultimately cost him his job as anchor of "NBC Nightly News."  Even after Williams had ascended to the post and became the most-watched network news anchor, there was still lingering sentiment within the NBC News organization that he was a lightweight and also-ran to his successor, the esteemed Tom Brokaw.  Ergo, I think Williams began his truth-stretching game largely as a way to prove he was, indeed, qualified to be the virtual face and voice of NBC News -- a move that, in the end, banished him right back to cable news.  (Of course, Williams didn't help his cause any by yukking it up on late-night shows and "30 Rock."  When the audience loves you more as a comedian than they do as a news anchor, you're in trouble.  But, I guess that's beside the point, lol.)

Edited by Khan

• Members

I don't think Pence can beat Sanders. He has the charisma of a rock. I think back to the Romney vote on impeachment. Mark my words, he will be the choice. We can say it was a principled vote but it was also calculated. The GOP knows Trump is on his way WAY WAY down.

Now come on Sanders is right now the frontrunner. As for Biden, the media bent over backwards for months at the expense of Castro, Booker , and especially HARRIS. This is Biden's third rodeo. If he sweeps the southern states he's easily back in the game. If he wins SC, I would love to see commercials with Bernie threatening to challenge Obama

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

How do y’all know it’ll be Pence and not Ivanka or Nikki Haley as Trump’s running mate? I honestly feel any republican running can beat Bernie. Bernie is literally tweeting that he doesn’t need the Democratic establishment. His small base can’t overtake everybody and you can’t convince people to vote for you by constantly saying you don’t need them.