Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Actors aren't characters, of course, but still, I was disappointed to hear that John Rhys Davies, whom I was always so fond of on Sliders, seems to be another unhinged Brexit type.

The UK seems to be hurtling more and more toward a US-style discourse, the main difference being they aren't as anti-gay or anti-abortion (yet, anyway).

• Members

I think we're at the point where many just don't even care. It's become so rote. What annoys me most of this group are the people who love to talk about anti-Semitism yet only to score points. Some on the far right were jumping up and down with glee to make the shooting all about AOC. You could tell how happy they were. 

• Members

That's for damn sure. 

I think the human mind isn't really good at processing this much tragedy.  Some people are getting hardened to it, but I won't begrudge them that coping skill.  Other people are depressed and anxious like we talked about a couple of weeks ago. That doesn't help anyone,  but I think it can be a normal reaction to the instability and watching other people suffer.

It really is sort of odd to watch both left and right throw stones over antisemitism. The real problem is it's becoming normalized across the spectrum. It's a virus that spreads and I will always believe that Trump let it loose this time around.

Islamophobia will go hand in hand with that, of course. Some vet running into a group of people because he *thought* they were Muslims? Heaven help us all get through this insanity. 

• Members

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-synagogue-shooting-poway-san-diego-county-20190428-story.html

This is just so awful.

Friends identified the woman killed as Lori Kaye, 60, of Poway. Some gathered at her home to grieve Saturday afternoon, as stories emerged about her heroic act inside the synagogue.

Roneet Lev, a member of the congregation, related an account from Rabbi Goldstein of how Kaye threw herself in front of him, possibly saving his life.

Kaye’s husband, a physician, was in the synagogue when the gunshots started. Worshipers called him over to help victims, and he began to do CPR on one until he realized it was his wife, Lev said. He then fainted.

Kaye had gone to the synagogue to say Kaddish, a Jewish prayer for the dead, for her mother, who had recently passed away, according to Lev.

“The irony is, people will be saying it for her now,” Lev said.