Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

If that tweet isn't proof that Trump is a narcissist, who suffers from Borderline Personality Disorder, then I don't know what is.

Also, "News" and "Media" is kind of the same thing.

I don't feel Beto is ready for the WH either.  Even Obama did a stretch in the Senate before running for commander-in-chief.  Besides, I'm still uncomfortable with the idea of another white guy saving us from ourselves, even though the Trump administration and its' disastrous effect on our country probably guarantees I won't see another Obama as president in my lifetime.

Edited by Khan

• Members

If he gets the nom I'll probably be fine with it provided he has a non-white/male running mate. But I'd rather he be someone else's running mate atm.

And I wouldn't lose hope. I honestly wasn't sure I'd see an Obama in my lifetime. (My mother, who was going to work for Bobby Kennedy, spent his entire election night speech in '08 fearing he'd be shot onstage.)

Edited by Vee

• Members

I'd say if you don't want a white male Democrat in office then the next election is probably the best for him to win, as it will be the epitome of a poisoned chalice - the media and the Republicans and their money men will make sure the Democrat is blamed for every problem in the country. He will only serve one term and either lose, badly, or choose not to run for a second.

I'm already seeing liberals attack O'Rourke as being just like Obama. I'd forgotten, almost, how much the left despised Obama. I guess there is one thing they will like about Beto that helped fuel their hostility toward Obama...

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Not all of the left hated Obama. But much of the far left certainly did, because he was young, non-white and not from their handpicked list of saviors from the Bush years, many of whom were either has-beens or journalists. The attitude was and remained 'who does he think he is?' - to the point that a lot of those 2000s-era superstars have now drifted to the right or so far left that they might as well be right.

The reason they attack O'Rourke - or Harris, or Booker - are for much the same reasons: Those candidates are not their chosen saviors or superstars, i.e. Bernie. Anyone who challenges Bernie's shine is to be crushed. I don't think it'll work as well as they hope, not after everything the public has seen about Bernie, Jill Stein, etc.'s roles in 2016 in the last two years. They're also extremely alienating in their methods. But I could be wrong. (There's also an obvious racial/gender animus re: Harris, Booker and other female candidates or candidates of color, just as there was with Obama and Clinton.)

I don't think any next Democratic president is a guaranteed one-termer should we win in 2020. I think people could've easily claimed that about Obama going in, but in the crunch year it was never close IMO. It depends on a lot of things we can't know yet. And 'bothsides-ism' is under more public assault than ever before thanks to the rise of social media, which is good for the future, if anything right now is.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Of course, Nicholas Kristof is correct: it's the American people, and not just Trump and/or his cronies, who must pay the price for his reckless leadership.  That's why, in some respect, I'm not entirely looking forward to Mueller's final report.  Because, if they think it's bad now....

Same.  About the only thing I'm sure of is that I won't be voting Republican in the 2020 election.  And even THAT could change in the blink of an eye, lol.

• Members

I'd like to believe that's all it is, but I don't.  The far right and far left are more open about it, but it seems to me antisemitism is infecting our society on the whole.  Maybe it can be stopped when Trump is gone, we'll see. But anyway, yeah, I wrote off the women's march for this reason a long time ago.

Social media is leading more and more people to fall for this kind of thing. :

She said she went home that night and searched Google to read about the Jewish role in the slave trade. Up popped a review of “The Secret Relationship between Blacks and the Jews,” a 1991 book by Mr. Farrakhan, which asserts that Jews were especially culpable. Henry Louis Gates Jr., a Harvard professor, has called the book the “bible of the new anti-Semitism.”

Twitter is just full of Holocaust denial and re-framing, it's disturbing. Our society is severely lacking when it comes to critical thinking. One day on Facebook is all it takes to see that. 

When I see the cracks forming in the Women's March coalition, it does worry me that we won't be able to hold it together for 2020. I know there isn't much point fretting over it though. What will happen will happen and we just have to hope for the best.