The Politics Thread

• Members

Wasn't there some thing that said he didn't even hold a job or earn a paycheck until he was 40? So then what was he doing before that? And no way Trump voters would have counted him as their kind of white... 

I do wish Hillary overrode her campaign though and let Bill advise on the rust belt... those are not all red states. But maybe part of it was what someone upthread said... people in those areas couldn't view her as both lady like and presidential... There are just too many factors to take into consideration. I thought her campaign was extraordinary, but clearly not good enough, but maybe it would have been good enough if the media hadn't normalized Trump... Her approval rating crashed soon after she announced her candidacy. I adore her, but she doesn't have the gift of riling people up, so that could have hurt as well... Comey sure didn't help. Like I said, too much to consider. 

Thanks to whoever clarified about Bernie's rigging comments. But does the DNC choose people to run? I thought the candidates decide that on their own with the help of their presidential exploration committee? 

• Replies 42k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

^ That's why I say Bernie wasn't really talking about rigging the way Trump meant it.  It wasn't the same kind of formal rigging.  When I looked at the field on the Democratic side I didn't need Bernie or anyone else to tell me that the field had been cleared for Hillary. My guess is back room deals were made and pressure was applied. If Bernie (not a Democrat) didn't run she would have had one lackluster competitor.  Does that sound like something that just happened naturally when the Republicans had a field of 16? I think the DNC backed her as their horse from the start and she lost. Maybe next time they should let the process play out a little more naturally.

Anyway, what's done is done and none of that means I think Bernie would have won.

Edited by Juliajms
typo

• Members

Myths that Cost Democrats the election

http://www.newsweek.com/myths-cost-democrats-presidential-election-521044

Not that I think this will matter to anyone who thinks St. Bernie would have won, but pretty interesting stuff especially the Op research stuff Eichenwald got his hands on from the GOP on Sanders. I am sure Clinton had a lot of the same stuff but didn't use it or want to use it in a primary

And this isn't everything. David Frum commented on this and said he was told the GOP was going to also hang the failure of the VA on Sanders.

That I agree with. And yes they should have let it run out with a bunch of candidates.

• Members

Boy, the lineup of trash that Trump is rolling out for his administration is horrible.

Also, WTF do Trump's spawn need security clearance??

Trump's best bud Vlad the Enforcer should remind him that most societies don't like goverment monarchies. He should educate the Trumps on what happened to the Romanovs.

Latinos aren't a monolith. Many have voted Republican in the past, particularly old-hardline Cuban expatriates. Many have been in the U.S. for decades and have businesses and tend to vote strictly in what they perceive as their personal economic interest.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

The Kremlin & Putin's state run propaganda network is extremely happy about Trump's victory

I can understand Russian so I watched the whole broadcast and I'm speechless. It's covered a bit in the above article but they don't think Trump will go after Hillary Clinton because Trump has a "weakness for blondes". They seem to know an awful lot about his personal preferences and even offer up some suggestions for who he should appoint to work with him.

They also go off on some tangent about how Putin and Trump- being the superior people that they are you see- are the only people along with a few other named dropped people (such as Farage, Le Pen, Wilders, Duterte) will make the world great again. He also promises that Putin will have Trump drop "irritating slogans" like democracy and human rights that have "dominated and ruined" the world the past century. There's also a vague threat about the US and Russia taking over Ukraine.

• Members

Well, in the years that Bush tried and failed to get any type of immigration reform going, there were quite a few Latinos who voiced opposition to what they saw as "amnesty". Some had what I call a "pull the ladder up" mentality that they themselves didn't want anymore 'illegal migrants' entering the country, so I'm not surprised. Or a " get in line and wait your turn" mentality, that people should return to their countries of origin. No offense, but many Cubans, while benefiting from the "Wet Foot, Dry Foot" policy have been completely unsympathetic to Haitian refugees, so honestly I'm not really surprised by the numbers. Disappointed, sure.

While groups like Puerto Ricans historically have taken a different view, there just weren't enough in battleground states like Florida to offset those who were likely indifferent of the need for immigration reform.

What people may not realize that other than Latinos and Asians, the Irish have some of the highest numbers of undocumented residents in the U.S.  I remember seeing a news story on RTE that the Irish embassy and Irish American groups were trying to lobby for a more human immigration policy. I wonder what happened to that and why it stopped so short? Oh well, I guess no one's checking for the Irish to be here illegally, lol.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

They may as well start calling him "our little idiot" or "our little patsy", it's basically the same thing.

With all this "lock her up" talk, I had a flashback to Yulia Tymoshenko who was jailed by Viktor Yushchenko, Putin's man. Jailing your political opponent is such a Kremlin M.O.

• Members

I can't imagine how they will react when he inevitably turns against them in petulance. Then again they will have gotten everything they want out of him by that point. 

We lose either way, really

Please register in order to view this content

I have to admit I was a little concerned about how Hillary was going to deal with them, because her instincts mostly seemed to veer toward war, but Trump so clearly has no idea about these people and I doubt anyone on his "team" does either.