The Politics Thread

• Members

I don't want to leave out the Afrikaner Resistance Movement (aka South Africa's Neo-Nazi movement which doesn't just support apartheid but the exile and killing of blacks, Jews, non-pure blood Afrikaners, and immigrants). Their delightful leaders Dan Roodt and Steyn Von Ronge have issued a glowing celebratory statement of Trump's win and how thrilled they are to have such a powerful ally in their "movement". Maybe they can share with him their tactics of beating people to death with bats, bombing homes of people they consider less than, and siccing packs of wild dogs on groups of people or maybe their symbol which is a swastika. 

Geert Wilders has promised a "patriotic spring" and worldwide revolution and uprising for their movement (or as we call it- a white power Nazi movement). Pauline Hanson and George Christensen can't hide their delight. The joy of the Le Pen family, Putin, North Korea, Iran, and the Philippines is well documented.

Since Trump or any of his supporters have yet to denounce these people and have even invited the younger Le Pen in their fold, I can only assume they agree with and accept their support. Maybe they can call appear at the rallies he plans on going to have (also a moment to remember what other fascist leader continued to hold rallies after his rise to power).

What wonderful days await all of us with Trump and his minions in charge of the most powerful country in the world and with white supremacists and nationalists worldwide galvanised and validated. 

• Replies 42k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It's chicken and the egg - a lot of these things have been building in Europe for years. Honestly I do think that Europe did a terrible job handling the migrant crisis and immigration in recent years - it sounds like Merkel was in way over her head about how to handle things in Germany. It hasn't been that bad over here, which is what makes knowing that vulnerable people are going to be banned, humiliated, and dehumanized for their skin color all the more disgusting.

• Members

Pardon the intrusion, as I'm not sure where else I could possibly express this that anyone would begin to understand the connection...and I gather that this post would be deleted anywhere else on this site.  Reading news today that former head writer Claire Labine has passed — after not thinking about our old soaps in days — was kind of the exclamation point (at least, I sure hope it wasn't another comma) at the end of a truly miserable week.  My 16 year-old self would be crying out in horror, "Sweet jesus, not Claire!" upon learning that the writer who brought us the stories and characters that she did is no longer with us just after Donald Trump was elected president.  My allegedly grown-up self isn't taking all of this too much better.

Watching Ryan's Hope in reruns on SoapNet as a young adult after I'd all but given up on the soaps that were on the air at the time brought me some welcome escape in those early years of the Bush administration.  It was a small comfort, but this news quite viscerally took me back to those dark days.  I hope it's not presumptuous (Ms. Labine did make her political persuasions fairly explicit in the press, and I think they were somewhat implicit in much of her writing) to say that I hope she was able to cast a ballot this week.  I'd just rather not think about this strong, intelligent, trailblazing woman presumably(?) learning about the outcome of this election in what would be her final days, though.

As I posted in the main thread about this news, RIP.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Disgusting.

A few days ago I heard some people talking about how they wanted to go back to the "good old days" in dealing with these protesters (you can guess what that means). People are emboldened into violence and hate, and nothing is in place now to stop them. It's sad that the protesters are the ones who have the onus put on them, who are expected to hide. It reinforces just how little place in America many are expected to have.

• Members

He could, and he should, but he won't.

The part of this that annoys me most is all those who roll their eyes at the protestors, laugh at them and tell them to "grow up."  First of all, weren't some of you prepared to mount another Ruby Ridge if Hillary had won the electoral vote?  Second, even if what the protestors are doing is ridiculous, belitting their need to express themselves in this manner isn't smart.  As a matter of fact, it escalates their anger.

Edited by Khan