DAMfan

Dark Shadows

Was Hoping It would be daytime again but doubtful

I believe the 2004 pilot had Alexis Thorpe of Days & YR

I'm going to be optimistic about this. The Tim Burton movie was largely panned for it's tone so I can't see them doing the same thing again. I feel this will have the dark tone needed. I also love that it is a continuation and not a remake. I hope they still use time travel like the original. Due to age I wouldn't expect to see many if any of the original actors, which is fine. I just like the idea of the mythology still existing. 

9 hours ago, DRW50 said:

OMG, with the original cover art too? This is great news. Way back when, I was never able to collect all the books, and now only have one in my collection. If these are not outrageously expensive, I'll be buying them!

@DRW50

This is a fascinating tidbit about what may have pertained to Season 2 of the 1991 show.

Context: Innovation Comics was a short-lived independent comics outfit during the early '90s comics boom. They briefly had the rights to Dark Shadows, Lost in Space, A Nightmare on Elm Street and other properties, and produced gorgeous books with beautiful painted art. The quality of the writing varied wildly, but the LIS series in particular had some great, mature stories for such a goofy property, including an extended storyline written by Bill Mumy.

I read some of these books first as a kid and then a teenager. They can also be found to read online through 'alternative means.'  The DS comics' rights very strictly pertained only to the 1991 series and were directly approved by Dan Curtis and co., though they were allowed to use Lara Parker's likeness for a new character in the first arc, in which Barnabas and Julia go to a town involved with the Salem witch trials. The DS comic ended abruptly with Innovation going bankrupt, amidst a new storyline focusing on ghosts and Sarah Collins, again with beautiful painted art.

The article above suggests Innovation - which had direct access to Dan Curtis - knew of some of the aborted plans for DS Season 2, including possibly a return for Lysette Anthony as the brunette Angelique-as-Cassandra. (I'd heard in the past that Michael T. Weiss would return as the werewolf Chris Jennings, but Peter Bradford recurring makes more sense.)

Edited by Vee

Thanks for finding that. I think I have some of those somewhere. I had no idea they were based on ideas for the show. I didn't care for the last episodes at all; I wish we'd gotten another season for a fresh start.

They weren't based on show ideas, AFAIK. But that unused cover suggests some might have been had they continued. All prior DS comics at Innovation had taken place during the first season; the one advertised there (and unprinted) was slated to take place after.

I've been following along with the One SNL Episode A Day blog and he got to a 1996 episode with Alec Baldwin. There's a lazy "what if Jane Austen characters were idiots and crass" sketch which threw me because they use (along with several pieces from elsewhere) three different Dark Shadows songs - the music often used in scenes where characters were at Widows Hill or in the woods or at the beach looking contemplative, a generic music box theme, and Josette's Theme. 

I have no idea why they used those, but I guess it helps explain why it isn't available on NBC's website...

Somebody uploaded an episode of Chicken Soup for the Soul that I watched back when it aired, starring Julia Duffy and Jerry Lacy (with Alicia Leigh Willis as their daughter). I enjoyed this show a great deal at the time, both because there were so many people I recognized and also because I thought the writing and performances were of a high quality. I'm sorry it didn't last longer. 

Another episode has a very powerful performance from Stephen Macht. The last has Joe Penny and Jerry Levine.