All: Saddest Scenes in Soap History

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

All of the above -- especially Stone's death. "I see you! Robin, I see you!"

Tamara Braun had me with that scene at the PCPD ("Show me the picture"). And I don't even like Demon Spawn.

Also: John Abbott and Cassie's death on Y&R. And Darla's death on B&B. Darlene Conley looked absolutely devastated for real.

• Members

Definately Marueen's death on Guiding Light. I can still here Vanessa crying "Marueen, Marueen, Marueen." And the montage immediatly following Phillip's "death." What was even sadder is just how much these stunt plots contributed to GL's overall demise.

The all-time saddest moments have to be the episodes where Laura left Knot's Landing...her final scenes driving away from the ranch crying because she knew she'd never come back, and several episodes later after her wake when she was reading "Goodnight Moon" in the video she left for Meg, and Greg was watching in tears. Constance McCashin was such an unappreciated actress and William Devane was incredible. Good stuff!!!

• Members

I wouldnt call Maureen's death a stunt...it was real, everyone had devastatingly real reactions to it, and it shook the entire canvas. Phillip's was definatley a stunt...but they were in a bind both budget wise and to get a renewal...so I see why they did it. The handling, as with everything DK and Wheeler have touched was piss poor (imagine a real mystery with real grief and reveal that a sane Phillip was alive but damaged, both physcially, emotionally and mentally.)

I think the saddest scene I ever watched was after Bert Bauer came home after the amputation. They had a party at the Bauer house and Bert was being her chipper upbeat self. But in the kitchen, as Maureen watched, Bert drops a plate and cant pick it up and starts to have a breakdown.

That was a quiet, emotional scene that really hit you in the gut (not only because of its reality for what was happening to the actress but just the acting and writing.)

• Members

YES YES YES.....for all the people who listed Tamara Brauns PCPD scene, I still get chills watching it.

Also for me, Alexis at Kristina's funeral was pretty amazing. When she started laying into Sonny I felt like I was having a heartattack by all the chills I felt during that scene lol.

Also one of the most chilling moments for me was when they showed Georgies lifeless body on the steps with the snow falling...I still hate Guza for that and always will. I still can't believe that happened, me and my best friend were crying like babies at the sight of Georgie dead.

• Members

Heavy on the death, I guess, from Ryan's Hope:

Dr. Nell Beaulac's death (1976): The initial sequence in which her aneurysm burst and she went brain dead were extremely sad as she slipped out of consciousness... later on, when her husband Seneca decided to disconnect her respirator, her mother-in-law began an old Native American chant which was absolutely haunting (this was juxtaposed with Seneca deciding to end her vegetative state).

Baby Edmund's death (1979): Yikes. The scene in which Jillian briefly regained consciousness after the explosion at the beachhouse and realized her child was dead were absolutely painful. Later, when Jill woke up again, Maeve had to tell her again - and began telling Jill about the loss of two of her own children.

Mary Ryan's death (1979): I didn't care that much about Mary the last two years she was on the show, due primarily to the constant recasting of the character (and Mary #3...oy vey). Her death was brutal, though, and seeing Jack, Maeve, and Johnny at her side while she slowly died was heartbreaking.

Johnny and Maeve's separation (1988): Johnny and Maeve were the backbone of the show, and suddenly even they couldn't keep together their marriage after Maeve and the Ryan boys tried to prove that Johnny's illegitimate son, Dakota Smith, was involved in some shady political dealings. The episode in which Johnny and Maeve separated was also Nancy Addison's last episode as Jillian, so Maeve told Jill in their final scene together (until the finale)... and after Jill left, Maeve displayed a helplessness that she never experienced before or after.

• Members

Maureen's death is far from a stunt. There was so much build-up to it and the immediate ramifications were played effectively. It might have been a JPF mistake, but the writers at the time wrote the hell out of it. I remember watching the 92 Christmas GL episode again a few months back, and thinking to myself, "Wow, the signs of something happening to Maureen are right here." Especially in regards to the church scenes with Mallet and Michelle. That's good writing when you can feel that something is about to happen, but it's not directly played out in your face. Maureen would of course die a few weeks after that Christmas episode.

The part that really gets me about Maureen's funeral episode was when Bridget visited her grave, after everyone had left. "I forgot to bring flowers. You've given me everything, and I've given you nothing. Aunt Maureen, I have a baby. I know it's what you wanted most in this world, and if I could give him to you, I would." :(

That storyline was great Greek tragedy-esque soap opera.

• Members

Me too! I didn't have access to spoilers then so I didn't know Jessica Tuck was leaving the show; I assumed Megan would pull thru. So when she died, I just lost it...

Jane Elliot's eulogy at Lila's funeral made me cry too. And all the BJ's heart scenes

When Laura thought Lucky had died in a fire, she had a breakdown and wandered onto some railroad tracks, crying that she was sorry... that made me cry too.

• Members

Another real tearjerk moment for me is a small exchange between Maeve and Johnny in the bar after Seneca pulled the plug. Johnny begins ranting and raving about what Seneca has done and Maeve simply states she wishes Johnny would have the courage to do what Seneca did if she was in Nell's condition.

Nell's storyline is so overlooked. So many wonderful moments.

Archived