The Accent Thread

Alan

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Has everyone become shy? :)

I have an western American accent.

Most African accents are my favorite to listen to. Deep, rich and regal. My favorite British accent is Scouse (Liverpool) once I was able to understand it. York and Scottish accents are nice, too. As far as the US is concerned I like some Southern accents like Georgian and New Orleanian (?) but some Southerners speak to quickly for me to understand. My least favorite accents are in New England. The Boston accent is the American accent I find most difficult to get used to.

So what are yours? Humor me.

• Members

Well, I'm from Texas.. but I don't think I speak very southern besides the normal Texas ("y'all", "fixin' to", knocking the g off the -ing on everything [ex: thinkin', sayin', doin']) sayings/habits. I probably just have a "general American" accent.

• Members

I knew someone from a part of rural Canada who sounded very Irish. We had no clue where the hell she was from at first.

Sorry everyone but accents and dialects are an obsession of mine. :lol:

Interesting. I used to think I had a 'General' (hate that term!) accent but after research, ect. I realized I had more of a Californian/Western accent.

I find that most people don't want to believe that they do have an accent but usually what sounds normal to us can sound foreign to others when we visit or move to different regions.

• Members

I am from Nashville,TN and yes I guess I have an accent!

There are varying degrees of accents here from slight to hillbilly to Tara plantation/Scarlett O'hara types.

My niece went to meet her boyfriend's family in Massachusetts earlier this year and everywhere she went they would say"Talk for us!" Lol!

• Members

I am from Nashville as well, but I honestly dont think I have much of a southern accent. Some say I do and others say I dont. I have always wanted to go up north and just talk to see if people would react to my accent, lol

• Members

I was born in Michigan and lived there until I was nine. I have always been told that I have an accent, but didn't realize how bad, until I did a little research. LOL

A little bit Canadian, A little bit Fargo and a little bit Nasal Chicago, the Michigan Accent was derived from a lot of the linguistic influences of its early settlers. Finnish, Irish, Dutch and Welsh, and Southern Twang (from the Southerners who came up the Dixie Highway to work on the assembly lines in the early 1900's)

G's are usually silent

R's are always hard, and sound like a growl

T's are pronounced like a D

Aunt = Ant

City - Ciddy

Clothes = Cloze

Cold - Code

Column = CAHL-yum

Creek = Crick

Comfortable = COMF-terbul

Crayons = Cranz

Dad = Dayaahd

Fire = FI-yerr (2 full syllables)

Fishing = Fishin'

Drowned = Drownded

Milk - Melk

Forever FREVer

Refrigerator = Frigerraider

Government = Govermit

Garage = Graage

Groceries = GROSHries

Hockey=Haahkee

Hundred = Hunnerd

I'm going to = I-munna

Little = liddle

Mirror = Mier

Masquito = Muskeeda

Roof = Ruff

Sandwich = Samwich

Used to = U-sta

Weekend = WEEK-en

You = ya

• Members

I have a screwed up accent. I'm from KY (my entire life) and you would *think* I'd sound as hick as hell, but I typically don't. 9 times out of 10, people have no idea where I'm from. :lol: Once, back when I was a teenager and working at McDonald's, I had this couple in my drive-thru that just had to know where I was from because of my accent. It took me at least 5 minutes to convince them I was from where we were and had lived there my entire life. ("Where are you from?" "Here." "No! Where were you born?" "Here." "No! What part of the country?"). People who get that I'm from KY assume I'm from northern KY around Cincy (I'm original from the south central part of the state). Once, in college, I went to Michigan for Spring Break with a friend and her whole family wanted to know how long I'd lived in KY (they thought I was from up there and had moved down). I claim to have that non-descript TV accent and insist that I learned how to talk by watching TV.

I do, however, have this tendancy to pick up accents *very* quickly. While I was working at Cracker Barrell, I started to get a serve southern drawl and I *hated* it. I got the hell out of there. If I'm waiting on guests with a slightly foreign accent, I've picked up bits and pieces of it before the meal if finished.

I think what a lot of it is is that when I was much younger, I got the point that to sound country or southern would imply stupidity (real or assumed) and I fought not to sound that way, so I re-taught myself how to talk (without really thinking about it). I've heard audio-tapes of myself as a young child (roughly age 5) and it's not pretty. I sound like a child from Deliverence. Thank god I grew out of that mess.

• Members

My favorite accent is a Scottish one or this other one I hear on Footballers Wives...it's held by Shannon and Harley and they say they're from up North so whatever a Northern UK accent is, I like that. I also really love British slag and have integrated it into my vocabulary.

Personally, I don't think I have a strong accent. Not sure though, when my relatives came from London they went on and on about it! REALLY drove me nuts, but I did the exact same thing to them! :D We were all convinced we had no accent. :P

Archived