OLTL: SOD Fall Previews

• Members

Thanks to Proteus at SZ:

Todd & Marty have main part of SOD's cover: How Far Will They Go?

Stuff We Know

Although this newcomer signed a long term deal with OLTL, a sudden story change and very dark turn for the character has co-stars wondering if he'll be in Llanview for much longer.

Goings:

Thom Christopher (Carlo Hesser): Hesser gets his just desserts on August 28 as Talia flees Mendorra, but he'll likely pop up again sooner rather than later.

Kevin Spiritas (Jonas Chamberlain): Last airs August 28th.

Staying:

David Fumero (Cristian Vega): Inked new deal with show.

VCR Dates:

On Tuesday, September 2, Micheal and Marcie remain at an impasse over the impending adoption, while Roxy and Tina realize they have a lot in common.

OLTL Scribe On A Todd And Marty Pairing

Todd and Marty are growing closer, despite their "dark" history

In response to viewer concerns about Todd and Marty's burgeoning "relationship," Head Writer RC assures SOD that he would have never written it under different circumstances. RC says "We're not talking about Marty with all her memories. She would never get close to Todd in any way. This is about a Marty who doesn't remember anything about him, and he starts to feel close to this new person and starts to feel this gratitude for the fact that she doesn't remember this horrible thing he did." RC continues saying "It is like this new chapter and this new arc. I don't think I would ever attempt to tell this relationship the way we're telling it if she knew who she was. I think that's a much different scenario. If we had Marty just come back to town and we started to build a relationship between the two of them...I can't imagine." At the moment, Todd and Marty's relationship is based on a psychiatrist/patient dynamic and not something physical. When asked if romance is a possibility, RC says "I'd like to watch it unfold a beat a time, a day at a time, a week at a time and not have the audience jump to, 'Are they going to kiss? Are they going to fall in love? Are they going to sleep together? The goal is more to take these two characters who have an unbelievable, dark history with each other and explore where we could go if they didn't have that obstacle-the rape-between them. That obstacle still exists and you're going to see close moments, like when he helps her walk, with physical contact. I think the thing about the two of them, the characters and the actors, is you feel a chemistry when they're just talking, so I don't necessarily categorize it as romantic. They're definitely forming a relationship and it continues to grow and build through the fall." As for any viewer resistance to a romantic pairing, RC says "I understand the initial impulse, but then again, I feel that action is more appropriate if we were telling a story where she had all of her memories. It's not that I don't get or understand the seriousness of putting these two characters together, but I don't think we're in any way damaging Marty's character. This is not the same Marty and to me, it's fascinating to watch because you're wondering if and when it is all going to come tumbling down."

Fall Preview:

RC says "The Todd and Marty story has been a little islanded because no one can know Marty's in Todd's house, but you'll see that change as it crosses with the Tess story. Rex, Gigi, and Brody are definitely a big part of the canvas, as well as Starr's pregnancy and Clint trying to find another way to get back B.E.

Todd/Marty/John/Blair: "We're seeing this building relationship between Todd and Marty. Meanwhile, John really can't let go of the fact that he believes Todd is hiding something. Blair is trying to put Todd behind her but can't help but be jealous of the woman in his house."

Tess/Tina/Jared/Natalie: Tess sees Tina as this person who's going to get in the way of what she's trying to do in the house. What we do hear Tess say is, Death is too good for Jared and Natalie. I want them to feel the loss of a loved one the way I felt the loss of Nash.' So you start to get the sense that maybe she wants to separate them, but not kill them."

Starr/Marcie/Todd: "Connected to all of this is Starr's pregnancy progressing. Now we're getting to the third trimester and we're seeing Todd starting to make the decision that he will not let this baby go to, of all people, Marcie McBain. Whether or not this is what Starr wants, Todd starts to form his own plan to make sure this doesn't happen."

Rex/Gigi/Brody/Shane: "The 1968 stuff continues through the rest of the month as we're seeing the climax of that story. We're seeing Brody and Shane getting closer. Is Brody going to bow out gracefully and give up Shane and Gigi? Probably not. We saw at the beginning a lot of drinking from Brody, nightmares, all that stuff. We've hinted at something troubling him from the war and that's all going to come back to him as we get into the fall and find out why it is so important for Brody to hang on to this family."

Clint/Dorian/Langston/Ray: "Clint is determined to get at Dorian to get back BE, so he turns his attention to Langston because he sees how devoted Dorian is to Langston. What Clint digs up is she has an uncle she doesn't know about and he doesn't know about her. So A Martinez is coming on to play [the uncle] Ray."

Fan letter praising John & Blair.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ron really has a knack for crossing stories, something I think is sorely missing in daytime. Hearing that the Todd/Marty story will cross with the Tess story definitely intrigued me. I do love when a head writer take the time to weave stories in and out of each other.

• Members

I can see why people would lose their [!@#$%^&*] over what he said, but I don't think it's as dire as some online are making it out at all. He explicitly says it's not being done from a romantic perspective, but from a psychological one. Then there's the fact that Susan Haskell would never play a real love story there. Then there's the fact that the scenes are, IMO, creepily fascinating and very well-written. It's supposed to weird you out. It's supposed to disturb you. But the fact that people seem to be glued to it has some import. It's a compelling story.

Mostly, I just wanted more news on other stories.

• Members

Actually, I agreed with what he said. It's pretty much been exactly how I've viewed the story from day one.

I don't think this story is any statement on rape, rape victims, or misogyny. In fact, I think Todd/Marty are the ONLY rapist/rape victim on daytime where a storyline like this actually works. The stories they were involved in together post-rape were all pretty twisted and dark. You could never pull this off with, say, Jack and Kayla on DAYS. The only other pair on daytime a story like this would work would be Roger and Holly on GL, and neither are around anymore (God bless ya, Zaz!)

Then again, this is supposed to be a polarizing story. :lol:

• Members

Roger and Holly went much further; they played up their sexuality, heat, and their lust and need for each other years after the rape. Even after he died, Mo Garrett had some incredible scenes talking about his unstoppable pull on her. What was done with Roger and Holly could only be done by those amazing actors and the incredible writers at the time, and the fact that they'd had a long, twisted romantic history prior to the rape.

For better or worse, Marty and Todd have also often skated an edge. Back in '94 and '95 it happened because Michael Malone apparently wanted a real pairing, which Haskell and Howarth rightly totally rejected; I won't lie, however, and say that I didn't find those "bonding" scenes very watchable, though weird and inappropriate. But even without Malone, they've always had a twisted connection and a weird understanding of each other, which isn't love, or romance, or sexual desire, but it is something that I don't think can or should be totally denied. In some ways I think they're similar personalities, especially back when Marty was "Party Marty." And so that is probably what led us here. They're not Roger and Holly, or Luke and Laura, but there is something compulsively watchable about their interplay. Why else would they share so many legendary scenes long after the rape?

• Members

I think it worked with DAYS' Bill & Laura and with GL's Roger & Holly. Of course, there's a big difference in their rape stories. Both of these had been in love prior to the rape, Bill & Laura had been engaged, Roger & Holly married. And, Roger & Holly's situation was played very close to realism, with the issue of marital rape in the news for the first time before they did this. Later on both couples had very complicated relationships with lots of issues, especially push/pull.

• Members

QUOTE (Donna B @ Aug 19 2008, 05:51 PM)
I think it worked with DAYS' Bill & Laura and with GL's Roger & Holly. Of course, there's a big difference in their rape stories. Both of these had been in love prior to the rape, Bill & Laura had been engaged, Roger & Holly married. And, Roger & Holly's situation was played very close to realism, with the issue of marital rape in the news for the first time before they did this. Later on both couples had very complicated relationships with lots of issues, especially push/pull.

I totally flaked on Bill/Laura. You're so right, Donna.

• Members

This all seems very Todd-centric, like how the Todd/Marty story will cross with the Tess storyline, as well as Todd being involved in the story of Starr's baby. Still, I like how Ron manages to interweave all of the storylines into one and stop everything from feeling islanded.

I'm curious to see how Tina is going to factor into Tess' storyline. I mean I'd far rather see Cord and Tina rediscover their love for each other while searching for Sarah, but still...

I might be in the minority here, but I'd like to see what happens with Todd and Marty. Maybe Marty is totally unable to remember what happened with Todd and as they grow closer Todd becomes unable to tear himself away from Marty, and love blossoms, only for Marty to suddenly remember what happened not only let Todd have it for keeping that from her, but for knowingly getting involved with her despite their past. And then maybe after all of that Marty is still in love with Todd. But that might be a little wrong. Still, I enjoy their scenes together and look forward to where they're going with it.

• Members

Todd falling for Marty, and Marty falling for him after regaining her memories would be totally wrong. Fortunately I don't think it's happening.

I think she'll probably remember around sweeps and, if Starr gives birth and Tess is found out at the same time and RC layers and threads all the stories together like he usually does, it should be crazy great.

• Members

QUOTE (Donna B @ Aug 19 2008, 06:27 PM)
You mean when he really should've said, "This misogynistic storyline was a terrible mistake." ??

This wouldn't be so bad if the rest of the show were good. But the only characters portrayed by actors that are giving us the goods are Todd and Marty...and maybe the relic herself Tina and her boring ex Cord. This story line of the past is overtaking every other story line on the show. Either TSJ is just too good, or the rest of the story lines suck. If this story line were played out by an actor with less chops it would never make it.

Archived