• Members

I just finished watching Y&R's Aug 7 (US) episode written by Jay Gibson/Thom Racina. The outline for the show was great; the dialog was just awful...from Katherine's first tag line "Did you fall off the wagon?" to the endless hackneyed cliches that followed. Racina is VERY rusty after 20 yrs writing novels and away from soaps. He better improve quickly or he should retire back to Palm Springs.

Did anyone listen to his interview..did he say what brought him back to daytime?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Anthony Morina and his wife Sally. Anthony basically suggested it, asked him why doesn't he come back to daytime, but Thom only accepted to write one script a week.

Possibly now he might be writing more, but I doubt it.

• Members

He sure praised all the wrong people.

In that interview Ryan did with him there were 2 things I didn't like (and that I can recall right now):

1. I didn't like that he called the Dobsons crazy. That was really a total lack of manners, taste and culture.

2. The thing he said about Michelle Val Jean, basically denigrating her saying (not directly, but I just have a feeling) that she's only good as a SW, that she lives only for that. I kind of think he thought of himself very highly whereas Michelle is below him.

Only my thoughts, nothing else.

• Members

I have to say I'm loving Thom Racina's scripts, they sound like old school Y&R, I'm delighted by his work, especially this:

Victor: You know where they're taking her? They're taking her to the morgue, she never did harm to anyone, one of the kindest people I've ever known, she loved me more than anyone has ever loved me, no strings attached nothing, no restrictions, she just loved me and now she's gone. They're taking her to the basement to a cold and sterile morgue, they'll put a tag on her toe and then stick her in a drawer, I only wish they would stick you in that drawer.

• Members

I don't remember Thom Racina butchering Days. I loved the time while he was there (Patch & Kayla, Bo & Hope). Maybe it was timing, but when he left the show went downhill fast. This was also a time the show some of its best talent.

• Members

Same here. I have to say, that era of Days drew me to Daytime in the first place.

Thanks Sylph for the link. I don't like the way he put down the Dobsons either. I don't care if they were total nutcases, they were talented and intelligent HWs who gave GL new life in the early 80s and created an exciting and sweeping NBC soap. According to Patrick Mulcahey, they also gave their writers a lot of freedom in crafting SB's episodes and pushing the dialogue to high standards.

Putting down Michele Val Jean, who single-handedly planned and wrote Liz's rape on GH... wow. How can he be so sniffy over a writer who put together such a considered and moving story?

I like that he gave Generations props, though.

So far, his two episodes on Y&R have been well-executed, in my view. We'll see.

Archived