Why don't soaps do catfights like this anymore?

• Members

I remember back in the 80s/early 90s catfights used to be really intense. The hits looked real, there was more damage done to the set and they lasted alot longer. Nowadays, catfights involve two women bitching each other out and then grab each other before quickly being pulled apart. Check out this clip from Generations. Now THAT was a fight. I wish soaps today would go back to drama like this. Girl kicks off her shoes, takes off her earrings and says "Come get me bitch!" LMAO

Maya: "You will NEVER have my father"

Doreen: "I already have...and I will have him again whenever I feel like it"

FIGHT!

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lord, have mercy, lol.

A good friend of mine loves catfights. Myself? Not so much, I'm afraid. IMO, they are demeaning toward women. Which is why I appreciated Maureen and Lillian's confrontation on GL even more. It was intense without a vase smashed or wig tossed.

• Members

Fans who remembered this were ecstatic when it finally popped up on YouTube a while back. I remember people at WoST had been asking about it for a long time. Years ago, someone in the soap press cited this as the greatest catfight, and although the Dynasty ones are iconic, this one is the best in terms of sheer action. And no Joan Collins stunt doubles.

• Members

Awesome!

I never saw or heard of this before.

Did they really used to let scenes run for 4:45? Sigh...those were the days...

I think Harding Lemay said, when AW went to 90 minutes, he might sometimes allow 7 minute scenes. I'd love to see one of those....

• Members

LMAO! God, I love Jonelle Allen. She singlehandedly made Generations watchable. It's sad that no soap snatched her up after the show got cancelled. Love the sound effects of her kicking off the shoes and her holding on to the train of her dress as she launches into fight stance... :lol:

I agree that Y&R and B&B had always done great catfights...they really knew how to stage a scene to make use of the whole space (usually shot from an aerial view). But really, when was the last great one on Y&R? Old Nikki and Diane?

• Members

Y&R's catfights in the 90s were epic. All Kay had to do was give Jill this little look and neighbors would run next door to alert their friends that there was gonna be a showdown. Family members would hurry to pick up the phone to let everyone know that Jill and Mrs. Chancellor were about to TEAR. IT. DOWN. Same thing for anything Brooke/Stephanie on B&B.

• Members

:lol:

That reminds me of my mother and grandmother calling each other during commercial breaks on GL.

Alas, those days are gone.

ETA

Looking at the GENERATIONS clip, I'll say this much: Kristoff St. John is a stiff actor now, and he was a stiff actor then, too. Doreen and Maya are literally wiping the floor with each other('s weaves), and he's acting as if he caught them scribbling on the walls with magic markers. IRL, Adam would have become a causalty in this war, lol.

• Members

How about this classic Y&R one between Katherine and Jill. I remember it when it first aired. I didnt watch the show but happeend to switch the channel during AMC's commercial. Was that Jeanne Cooper doing the whole scene or was there a stunt double

Archived