Mama Mia the Movie

SnCCorinthos4ever

• Members

Mama Mia was released here in Australia last Thursday and it is great.

I loved it when I saw it on stage and the movie is just as good.

Every one was great.

Must not miss moments are when they sing SOS and at the end of the movie don't leave until the screen actually goes black and the credits start rolling. I don't think that I have laughed that much in years.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Already nearly every ABBA song from it has made the top 50 iTunes downloads in the UK. Of course UK has always been ABBA crazy but...

I dunno, I am a musical theatre fag--my major was musical theatre, I knwo the history of musicals liek the back of my hand, etc. I'm also a HUGE ABBA fan--I even bought the recent complete box set even though I owned all the albums. But I'm also a theatre snob. Give me a Stephen Sondheim musical over Lloyd Webber anyday--and "jukebox" musicals (where a lame plot is worked around a catalog of pop songs) are really really for the most part awful. That said, I admit Mama Mia was stupid but tons of fun in the theatre.

But a lot of that fun was the energy of seeing it live. I think it was smart for the movie to get Meryl Streep, which will helpbalance the fact that energy's you get from seeing it live is gone--and also make the story seem less silly. But... I'm gonna see it, but I think it's gonna take a bit to convince me ;) (And yes I know Mama Mia is a stupid thing to be snobby about)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

So far Mamma Mia! is the 3rd biggest movie MUSICAL of all time - the only movie MUSICALs that top MM are 1 Grease; 2 Chicago and MM just keeps going and going - with people going to see it over and over again - some have seen MM over 30 times.

:D

Archived