The Doctors

• Members

Thanks for that, some more dates of interest.......

Bethel's first shows started the week of Nov 15th 1965 according to interviews in papers at the time.

Elizabeth Hubbard joined in Aug 1964

The cast did a walk out on Nov 17th 1966 ( some sort of union issue? Carson didn't tape that day either) Anyone know what this was about?

Yeah the papers of the day all started listing The Doctors as being in colour from about Oct 1966, so that makes sense.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I don't know why, but Bethel Leslie's Maggie seems much older than James Pritchett's Matt. I know that JP is actually several years older than BL, but Maggie just has a very matronly vibe about her that I can't get over. It doesn't hinder my enjoyment of the character, but I have to remind myself that she and Matt become the show's central couple, albeit with Lydia in the role. Perhaps it's the contrast between Maggie's very calm, cool, collected demeanor vs. Matt's perpetual turned-up status.

Y'all can have David O'Brien, though. I was very unprepared for the hotness that is Terry Kiser, circa 1967 wub.png

It's really interesting to see a true workplace-based soap. When was the last time GH was this focused on the hospital and its staff? I can only imagine how awesome it was back then to watch soaps that were actually different from each other and had different types of storylines.

Sidebar: I know the show is The Doctors, but every time we see all those nurses crowding around the nurses' station during the opening and closing credits, I'm very eager to see what their stories are. Yo, RetroTV, might as well see if "The Nurses" is still out there!

Other things I've enjoyed: Matt calling Nick out on "offering Althea marriage." He said exactly what I was thinking. Years ago, when I first became acquainted with this show and its storylines, I thought I'd absolutely love Nick Bellini, but so far, he's been a conceited !@#$%^&*] with a chip on his shoulder because he can't keep his prick in his pants. Liz is classically shrill, but I can't help but feel for her. He's making her feel as though she should not be excited for her own wedding -- it's like he wants her to view it as the emotionless "duty" that he views it as. He's an ass.

Ruth was a warm presence from the moment she appeared on screen, and I hope to see more of her. The beginnings of the story with the kid (that they'll clearly adopt, right?) reminds me of that new show Red Band Society.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

Awesome, thanks to whatever loser is trying desperately to make sure we can't watch episodes of a soap opera that hasn't helped line anyone's bank account in over 30 years, all of the late 70s/early 80s episodes have either been deleted or privatized on YouTube. Fabulous.

Don't they realize that we would GLADLY watch these legally if they offered them to us!?!?

• Members

Bethel must have been a big 'get' because she received the "and Bethel Leslie" in the credits. Looking at IMDB she did a lot of television. Because I notice these things, Gerald Gordon isn't in that top billed group, which makes me wonder if he ever was.

It was definitely interesting to find out that Bob Cobert scored the show. It sounds like his work on Shadows. I was totally expecting organ music.

Another random thought... these episodes definitely make a compelling case in favor of the 30 minute soap. But I fear that what makes this work so well, gets drastically changed by the late 70s.

• Members

Is anyone else freaked out when Dr. Powers starts smoking that pipe? I guess the surgeon general's warning hadn't come out by 1967. In real life, Jim Pritchett was older than Bethel Leslie (IMDB has his birth year as 1922 and hers as 1929), but she does come off as sort of matronly.

Here's hoping that Dr. Bellini eventually changes his attitude. Has he been nice to ANYONE in these episodes?

I just can't keep my eyes off Althea. Not only was Liz Hubbard an absolute stunner (still, I have to wonder if she modeled before going into acting because she radiates such elegance, poise and grace), but her acting is absolutely powerful. Whether she is confiding in Maggie, sparring with Nick, or crying because of him - she commands every scene she was in. It's no wonder she eventually won an Emmy for the role - and when given the right material as Lucinda Walsh on ATWT, would knock it out of the park every time.

• Members

From the soap history books I have, Mike isn't on the program right now. Mike and Liz were supposed to be a big teen couple, of course looking at Liz and seeing what she does for work I don't see "teen." The only indication that she is younger than Nick, is he calls her kid and the others have children that are older.

• Members

I was just looking at a TV Guide interview with Pamela Toll (really just the 1st page of a scan of the article for the issue that's up for sale on ebay) from around the time Somerset premiered and it mentioned that she was 21 (making her about 18 in 1967) and that she did, in fact, leave The Doctors to join the premiere cast of Somerset. She also described Liz as very naive & with her head in the sand. At least the opinion of the character at the time hasn't changed. lol

Also, for point of reference, I believe the Christmas 1967 episode should be airing this Wednesday during the 2nd half hour.