The Doctors

• Members

I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it but keep a look out for the orderly who is an extra in the Christmas episode that aired today. I remember this actor being on some CBS soaps but didn't know he was ever on The Doctors. He's better known for prime time.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I simply ADORED the Christmas episode! When Matt turned to the audience at the end to wish the audience a Merry Christmas & then they played O Christmas Tree under the credits, I got a little misty eyed. And then there was ALL of that drama in the first half hour. A pivotal PIVOTAL episode that will receive MUCH fallout.

• Members

I thought the little touch of Steve getting Nurse Carolee a Christmas gift (and what the gift was) utterly charming. I also loved seeing her swoon and giggle - she almost melted when he blew her a kiss and winked!! She was a blushing schoolgirl!!

On the other side of the coin, we have Nick and Liz. Finally, the truth is out there. The deceptively simple scene of Liz going home to the apartment she shares with Althea and breaking down - especially as she stands at the Christmas tree and despairs that never once did he tell her he loved her - with the strains of an instrumental version of "Silent Night" wafting through the apartment's radio - is as lush and still heartbreaking as you will ever see. I give Pamela Toll a lot of credit for not going overboard with the histrionics. Who wouldn't be deeply hurt upon learning what Liz did - and on Christmas Eve? The visit from a concerned Maggie coming to comfort the girl is very sweet, especially when Liz breaks down in her arms.

Finally, Liz calls on Nick for calling her "kid" - more than once!! She certainly proved to be the more mature of the two - especially when he bawls out the innocent janitor for simply wanting to decorate the lab (on Dr. Matt Powers' orders). She's better off without him!!

Edited by amybrickwallace

• Members

Yes, I agree that the Christmas episode (which actually aired on Christmas Day in 1967) was very sweet. It was relatively light on the drama because it was indeed Christmas and also they probably weren't expecting a large viewership that day - but it was also a welcome reprieve from the gut-wrenching fallout from the previous episode.

Dr. Rice claiming he wasn't Paul Newman to Mrs. Winters and Nurse Carolee ("NOW you tell me!") was cute, as was Maggie's good-natured complaining about always ending up doing last minute Christmas shopping alone. I also loved James Pritchett breaking the fourth wall and wishing the viewers a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

He had such a rich, orator's voice, didn't he? Also, he had the tones and inflections similar to Doug Watson's (AW). NBC sure was lucky to have wonderful core leading men in their soap heyday (Pritchett, Watson, Macdonald Carey at DAYS).

• Members

I don't know if he is called "Noel" or not. (I suspect that this name was used because the episode was for Christmas.) But one of them is actor Paul Michael Glaser prior to being cast as Dr. Pete Chernak on CBS's Love Is a Many Splendored Thing.

Also, Danny has been played by Donnie Melvin. Mr. Melvin was the final actor to play Petey Dunbar on The Secret Storm. He appeared on that show during the time that Alan Dunbar returned.

• Members

Very impressed with Pam Toll - she evokes a younger Julianne Moore. She didn't seem to click as Pam on Somerset-a pity as Rachel's half sister was then forgotten but could have been a dynamite character on AW.

Maggie mentioned Althea visiting her mother and Penny but I couldn't catch where.

We have yet to see Greta or Mike.Does anyone know their status at this point? Where is Mike living and who is taking care of Greta?

I am also impressed with Carolee Campbell - she comes across as so 'normal' competent in her job but as we will see she is a more insecure in her personal life.

Nowadays, she would be presented as a real clutz for 'comedy' relief.

Really everything about this show is top notch soap.

• Members

Just a few weeks ago, at the end of July, Terry Kiser (Dr. John Rice) appeared on Today to commemorate the 25th anniversary of Weekend at Bernie's, and posed for a selfie with Al Roker. Pretty ironic that the man who played such an animated, fun-loving character on TD found his greatest fame over two decades later playing a dead guy!!

Here's the write-up:

http://www.today.com/popculture/25-years-after-weekend-bernies-star-terry-kiser-still-kicking-1D79975845