The Doctors

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I thought it was Hamilton also,although I can't find any record of it.There was a character called Edna Hamilton played by Joanna Roos,Florence Williams and Margaret Baker who I assumed to be Althea's mother. This was around the time her son Buddy died so it would have been natural that her mother was there.

Mysteries like this might be solved if we keep getting access to the Retro TV eps.

• Members

I should have guessed all this was over a music licensing issue. Though while the theme music is certainly beautiful and lush, it doesn't really stand out as something that would be causing trouble for episodes made 47 years ago!! If it was contemporary pop music of the day, I could see that.

In any case, let's hope this puts the issue to bed at last and we can enjoy the episodes!!

• Members

I found the story of Althea's pregnancy and the morals clause fascinating. I wanted to know more about it and didn't have to go further than the living room to find out from someone who would know firsthand.

My mother is a retired RN. She graduated from nursing school (a Lutheran nursing school) in 1964, worked for a couple of years and by 1967 (when these episodes were airing) went back to Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland for post-graduate studies. I asked her about the morality clause. She said that yes - the nurses and the nurses-in-training had to be above reproach, couldn't be pregnant when unmarried and were not allowed to date doctors - interns or residents. She said that the medical community at large was very strict about the morals clause.

Mom also said that she's not sure when the morals clause fell by the boards because she spent the majority of her nursing career in home health care. She didn't work in a hospital or doctor's office once she was done with her training - though she worked one year as a school nurse at an elementary school, and often went to clinics to give flu shots and such.

Anyway, just thought I'd give you the firsthand word of someone in the medical field who was in nursing at the time of this show and who knew about the morals clause.