The Doctors

• Members

This is rather unfortunate. This would mean that a bulk of Alec Baldwin's run as Billy Aldrich would be gone, which seems strange as I could have sworn I have seen stuff pop up in those they started on soap programs where clips were played. I think Baldwin premiered in September 1980. 

With that said, I am excited to see what's available of 1980. There is a minor story involving a character name Jeff Burgess, a medical student who ends up not continuing his studies partially due to Matt Powers' belittling him. 

Disappointing. I was looking forward to seeing the messy writers strike, Lemay's run, and the final insanity of the Barbara Morgenroth run with the Aldrich crypt plague and Felicia's use of Jean Marc's "Dorian Gray"-esque elixir to keep her from aging. 

Part of me wonders if this is what prevented the show, which was rumored to have been bought by someone like Hallmark 20 years ago from airing the program. 

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The episodes look like they stop at the end of September 1980.  The entire month of August 1980 is Far Wind and his cult holding the hospital hostage.  Some of the dates of the episodes are not accurate.  The day Far Wind takes over the hospital is labeled August 2, 1980.  This is a Saturday.  This episode probably aired on Friday, August 1 as The Doctors would air in a new time slot starting Monday, August 4th. 

Also, there are some location sequences filmed at the beach regarding Ashley’s storyline.

• Members

NBC bought the show at around the time of these last episodes. Aug/Sep 1980. That might explain it all. I am shocked they wiped episodes post 1980. Colgate would have nothing post Sep 1980 since they no longer owned the show.

NBC fired Doris Quinlan in Sep 1980, just after they bought the show and replaced her with James Baffico, as she and Colgate wanted Harding Lemay in as HW and NBC wanted the Ellis' to stay. The shows decline in ratings was blamed more on Quinlan. NBC even hired Joe Rothenberger as Line Producer as he had worked with them on ATWT. Though it was all for nothing as they gave Ralph and Eugenie the boot Dec of that year. 

Edited by will81

• Members

In the 1990s I met Barbara Morgenroth online & we were good friends for several years. Then her life situation changed & she didn't come online daily anymore. She & Leonard Kantor (Is that right?) were the last HWs & they were desperate & they wrote incredible things. One was grave-robbing & a plague that got started from that. She was very interesting, very political, no longer interested in soaps, an observant Jew who kept kosher and one of the oddest people I've run across in my whole life. She had a quick temper. She held grudges. She could find offense to take in things where you'd just shake your head. You would never mistake her for a happy person. 

• Members

I think we should just be grateful we have access to all those Episodes now and FOR FREE!!!! Maybe some day the rest will pop up! Until then let's just enjoy what we got, Is a hell of a lot more than we can say for most soaps! Days should really release some of the classic episodes! That would solve their money problems!