The Doctors

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

On Monday night, the Buzzr subchannel aired a 1974 episode of To Tell the Truth that had a segment featuring Ira Avery, head writer of The Doctors, among other soaps, both on TV and radio. He was plugging a gothic mystery he had just written under the pen name "Mavis Hathaway" called "What Evil Lurks." Apparently it was acceptable at the time only for women to be the authors of gothic novels. It was ok for men to use their real name for soap writing though.

I think I read an article way back on this thread where The Doctors executive producer Allen Potter criticized the writing of a recently departed writer, and it seemed likely that that writer was Ira Avery.

• Members

I got to watch the wedding of Nick and Althea. It was a bit anticlimactic. If anything, it showed how miniscule the show's budget was. It's too bad they couldn't make it really special and shoot on location, in a real church or outside. Instead they built a nondescript church set with aluminum folding chairs as pews, and then had the reception in a cramped set that looked like the hospital lounge redressed. 

In what felt like filler, they have the minister go on and on, giving the longest, most impersonal marriage rite possible. Nick and Althea look miserable and don't even look at each other when they say their impersonal vows. I don't know if that was a conscious choice on the part of the actors for their characters, or just poor direction. 

Speaking of poor direction, someone should have told Lydia Bruce that the little girl at the wedding is supposed to be her daughter. Bruce goes by her like she's a stranger. Equally weird, they have Greta hanging out with and being held only by Jody Lee and then Steve, people who her parents aren't particularly fond of or hardly know that well! Matt barely acknowledges Greta, and Maggie not at all!

Watching this, Nick was totally right! They should have just had a small wedding, or eloped, or even just got married in his lab. It would have been more personal and romantic, and more in keeping with the show. The show, with its budget, just couldn't deliver on a big splashy wedding.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It looks like itsrealgoodtv has done away with its app.  To watch, you need to go  directly to the website, itsrealgoodtv.com. The Doctors has its own section on it. Interestingly, at the moment, it's not behind a pay wall! You don't have to sign in or anything; you can watch all the episodes for free! There doesn't seem to be commercial interruptions either. It doesn't look like any new content has been added. What was there is still there, but now it's up for free! Don't know how long this will last for.

Edited by Jdee43

• Members

My app is still working on my phone and I’ve been watching it today. I haven’t checked my tv though. That is odd though because I noticed they just updated the app to make it easier to use.

I paid for the yearly subscription but I only have two years left so I was trying to hurry through them so I can cancel it until they add the remaining episodes. 

• Members

I'm watching from a Samsung smart TV. I'm not surprised to see the app disappear for me, as it hasn't worked on my TV since last summer.

I think The Doctors streaming free is a mistake, a glitch on their website, that they will no doubt be correcting shortly. 

• Members

There's a major updating of the site, with new photos for all the years and new thumbnails on all the episodes.

Also, a couple of missing episodes have been added!! These are ones that aired on Retro TV but were not on the site before! One was 2/14/68; it's now up, making February 1968 complete! Also 8/1/68 has been added!

There are still episodes mislabeled -- 2/24/68 is 12/24/68; 9/25/68 is really 9/26/68; 9/26/68 is really 9/27/68.

There are also some episodes that aired on Retro that are still not up, like 1 from April 1968, 6 at the end of June 1968, 8/5/68, the real 9/25/68. 

However, the fact that they've added any new episodes to the site is encouraging!

The quality of the playback on the updated site is a little jerky. Hopefully that will improve!!

Edited by Jdee43

• Members
  • Members

I wonder if these recent app changes means they’re gearing up to release the rest of the episodes. 

BTW, I’ve been re-reading the Daytime Royalty thread for this show and I finally arrived to the time when they launched the app. A employee from Retro TV was asking questions and answering them there for quite a while. One thing mentioned was that they planned to include the pre-68 episodes as an app exclusive. Of course Covid happened and they never got around to it, but I hope whenever they add the final years that they do go back and upload those episodes as well. 

• Members

Just received an e-mail from It's Real Good TV.  They said they will no longer be charging us to watch The Doctors.  Monthly subscribers will get refunded for April/May, and yearly subscribers will also receive a refund.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by jam6242