The Doctors

• Members

Great link!! Thanks!!

Retro should turn to the fans and put up any recordings they might have of episodes from 1981 and 1982. Since Retro's recent site update, the video quality of fan recordings would probably be only marginally worse than Retro's digital transfers from the actual masters.

Edited by Jdee43

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Wow that is disturbing (but given it was NBC not entirely surprising) to read about the NBC wiping The Doctors tapes in the early 80’s. I wonder if that inspired the live episode in the movie Tootsie.

What’s more I find interesting NBC blamed the producers for the collapsing ratings and not themselves for shuffling The Doctors around from one bad time slot to the next.

• Members

I had hoped to be able to make sense of some of the revolving door or writers/producers after 1980, in addition, seeing the the opening with The Doctors (the closing theme is beautiful) in green lettering; doesn't appear we will get to that point unfortunately. 

• Members

Yes, you will see the opening with the green lettering. It debuted in August 1980 when the show moved to 12:30 p.m. I watched one of the August 1980 episodes the other day and saw that opening. What you won't hear is the final theme song, which debuted, I think, in 1981. What is interesting is that some of the August 1980 episodes feature the old Doctors logo at the beginning of the opening scene.

I agree wholeheartedly. What's shocking is that NBC had been making plans to expand DOOL to 90 minutes and The Doctors to one hour, with The Doctors shifting to 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

• Members

Can you point me to anywhere I can read about plans to do a 90 minute show for DAYS? Of all that I've read & heard & taken note of about Fred Silverman's pushing the 90 minute show on AW I have yet to ever see any mention of doing it with any other soap. And, we've talked before about their starting the process with DOC after they expanded first AW & then DAYS to one hour, but that they never pursued it any further with DOC. I'm not saying I dispute this, only that I have no information on it. 

• Members

Unfortunately, I can't recall where I saw it as I've got COVID brain fog going on. But it was definitely somewhere on SON. I think it was a May 1979 Variety article. It showed the proposed line-up, including The Doctors airing from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., a new soap going in at 12:30, DOOL airing from 1:00 to 2:30, and AW from 2:30 to 4:00. I definitely recall reading about it in a book back around 1979-1980 as well. Unfortunately, I no longer have the book, but it may have been this one. I recall there was a section in the book about daytime TV, including shots of the Ryan family from Ryan's Hope. The book stated that even though the AW expansion was deemed unsuccessful that NBC was still toying with expanding DOOL.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Here is an interesting behind the scenes video on how Retro TV had to transfer all the tapes of The Doctors to the digital platform and the discovery that NBC reused the tapes for the final 2 years of the series.  Makes you wonder what is going on with all the tapes of the P&G shows…