The Doctors

• Members

At this point, I am just so glad to see Jada in scenes saying more than just random words. When MJ said that Billy may have issues with what is going on, I was like she should say what happened. The thing about how if Carolee was around would he had married Ann, well the look on his face when the news came that the divorce was final said everything. Did Jason not see that? I guess not. I doubt O'Brien was supposed to make such a face, but it was this look of disgust and apprehension over her shoulder when they hugged.  I laughed way too much than I should have. 

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I've heard Marland say he didnt know much about pacing, etc when he first started..and dragged both of those stories out longer than they were supposed to be.

I'm also mystified at how there is almost a 180 in regards to the women characters.  Penny is a stepford wife (the old penny would have taken that money to go back to school herself without telling Jerry), Nola lost brain cells, carolee admitting she wanted to go back to Steve before she was mugged, MJ losing her quirkiness, and Maggie becoming a shrew.  I was amazed Althea was made acting chief of staff..though I was hoping for more Paul vs Althea power plays (pollack's would have done that for sure).  And Sarah saying Nola was wrong for not being Jason's plaything !?!?!  

It's a shame that he used this show to learn how to head write...the show was in a shaky place at this time..and the show needed a proven talent to turn it around.

• Members

Does anyone know why they recast the original Wendy? 

Speaking of which, I am interested to see where this Lew/Eleanor/Wendy arc goes. I did feel for Eleanor when she expressed insecurity over Lew commenting that Wendy was pretty. When it comes to Lew, I find myself questioning if he really is into Eleanor or if this is all a ploy. 

I am glad Steve finally learned Carolee is back. I cannot wait for Ann to be exposed. 

• Members

I forgot that Doreen is about to pop up soon enough. 

While I am liking many of these new characters, you can start to see that this show is parting away from the hospital, which is sad. 

You can see the show losing its identity right now via the credits music. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed it shifting a lot? Besides the new intro theme, which has stuck, the credits music changes a lot. It seems production doesn't know if they want to stick to the traditional, orchestral theme or a more hip and modern theme for that time. It is obvious that the show was trying to skew younger at that time. 

• Members

That makes sense about the recasting of Wendy since the original Wendy was sweeter and warmer than this Wendy is portraying so far.  Plus, we had hints that Marland was slanting toward a Wendy/Eleanor/Luke triangle with Eleanor being insecure over Luke thinking Wendy was beautiful.  From what I recall reading, a triangle doesn't end up happening and I'm not sure if it was due to a writer change... or audiences didn't warm to this story.

• Members

For all that Joe Stuart had done(good and bad), I think he would've been a better fit for TD during this time. Jeff Young clearly was out of his league while helming this show with changes to the sets, theme music, and revolving door or writers. TD would have benefited from someone with a steady hand to steer the ship especially while soaps like GL were expanding to an hour during this period. 

• Members

So, I've just watched the scenes where Carolee, overhearing (in classic, Marland-esque fashion) that Steve and Ann have married, loses consciousness, collapses onto the floor, and retreats back into catatonic, "Mary Ellen" mode.

Oh. My. God.

In all my years of soap-watching, I have never wanted a story to end as badly as I want that story to end.

How much more plot-driven tedium did TPTB think they could put these characters through (not just Steve, Carolee and Ann, but most of this unexceptional cast) and still make the audience gaf about their predicaments?

Not even Douglas Marland's writing made this show work for me, it seems.  The production values are bad even by late-1970's standards; most of the acting is amateurish and too low-energy; and even the better writers seemed to give less than their all here.  Sorry, sports fans, but I think TD was just a bad, cursed show.

On the bright side, however, Dr. Brandt doesn't appear (at the moment) to have an unhealthy obsession with his patient.  If the Pollocks were still writing, you know that's just where the story would have gone.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I think this would've been the approach for many writers nowadays. It is refreshing to see a doctor who has a genuine concern for his patient without it being sexual. 

That aside, I do wish that Mona got chewed out this most recent episode. My God, she is an insensitive biddy. I get she doesn't like Carolee but have some sympathy for the woman. 

I'm not here for Steve moping about either. Just accept the fact that you caused Carolee's breakdown and figure out how to rectify the damage done. I do wish that Billy was wreaking havoc and throwing Carolee's breakdown in Steve's face. I just want someone to chew Steve out badly. I did NOT like when Dr. Brandt told Steve that he wasn't at fault. Yes the HELL he is!!! 

Oh and Barney is irking my nerves too trying to play insta-father to Nola. I wished she would've dug into his a** even more too. It's too late for Barney trying to play "papa" and dish advice to Nola (re: Jason).