Neighbours: Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I wonder what the business logistic are - did Freemantle sell the show to Amazon, or is Amazon paying Freemantle a licensing fee to produce it (similar to what Channel 5 and the BBC did previously)? Amazon acquired the entire library in this deal as well. 

Freevee is a free service, so the fact that will be its primary platform in the UK is also great, as that's the territory with the show's biggest following. Having it on Freevee in the US is a nice bonus. 

• Members

How many years have I been talking about F.A.S.T. and its possibilities for continuing daytime dramas??! Guys! I was shouting into the void then, I guess.

Even before F.A.S.T., in fact, I have been talking about daytime dramas being revived via ad-supported streaming. Aargh!

• Members

From what’s been said, it appears Amazon FreeVee is paying a licensing fee to produce the show in partnership with Network Ten in Australia - so, kind of what it was before. The show will also be moving back to the main channel in Australia instead of being on a digital channel.

It’s really good news that it will be on FreeVee as the ad revenue will support the production costs. The only problem with streamers is that it’s difficult to know what constitutes a successful show from a viewer perspective. 

I’m very happy about this. Totally buzzing. The back catalogue being available is a lovely bonus, especially as it will be available in the US, too! The American market has always been a bit difficult for Neighbours to break into, so I hope this is a success.

Please register in order to view this content

I remember watching One Life To Live when it moved to Prospect Park, and I thought they did a decent job, generally. But that was a move that was ahead of its time as someone else said. It’s a bit like Days moving to Peacock - these are experimental times for the genre. 

• Members

Where has this been said? I find it curious that Amazon and TEN are going into partnership with this. I assume Film Victoria will still be stumping up some cash, and that, along with being offered the entire back catalogue, might have been what got Amazon interested.

Thank you

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

We have been sleeping on F.A.S.T. a bit. It occurred to me not long ago its possibilities might be strong for soaps when I got very, very bored and began watching a lot of Dallas on FreeVee.

I'll probably never fully recover from how close AMC and OLTL were to making it work, but it can be done again with many soaps. It's what should save General Hospital along with a complete creative overhaul porting it onto streaming, but that will likely not happen tbh. With the exception of Days, which may succeed against the odds some of us were predicting not long ago (due to Peacock's instability and poor quality) if their renewal news is true, I think the remainder of American soaps will have to be dragged off network TV to their deaths.

Edited by Vee

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

A special show for Neighbours as it moved to Channel 5, including many interviews and backstage moments. They really ramp up all the dramatic material in this (for promotional reasons) which has the side effect of making the show sail right into Acorn Antiques territory - the scene of Susan passing out after Toadie has a panic attack and is ushered from court made me laugh, I'm ashamed to say.