June 16-20, 2008

Toups

• Members

DOOL is obviously a failure on SoapNet, which is why it got pushed back to 11 pm, and why it is now pre-empted 2 out of 5 days a week.

No hope for DOOL with Disney.

I think the cancellation of the P&G soaps will more likely happen in 2011, but yes, I agree, the end is near.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's either going to be 2010 or 2011. I dont see it going past 2011.

Well, I am just going by the drops they had yearly. AMC and GH usually have -.3 yearly drops. OLTL -.2 drops. And if ABC does outlast them all ......the production values will be just as bad or worse than GL with no stars left on their shows but LaLuci, and a handful of others. You know how I feel about GL now...no reason to watch the crap of a show.

• Members

My question is, with a much smaller pool of soaps, will that drive ratings up for the remaining ones, or just drive them down for all. I think we know the answer and it is not good.

• Members

ATWT may last that long, but GL is gone in 2009, no doubt. It was only renewed for one year, until September 2009, and that was based on early ratings that showed GL having no significant drop from the new production model....of course, as soon as it was renewed, it dropped like a stone, lol. I don't see CBS picking it up again, especially since it will likely be even lower by the time they make their decision whether or not to renew or cancel it again (May of next year at the latest).

• Members

Of course you know the answer TC. ;) Passions was cancelled.......and what happened to the other soaps ratings?? You know the answer. ;) Once ATWT is over....and probably Y&R although I dont watch anymore..I am done with soaps in general.

ATWT is gone in 2009 then also. Because when they got picked up...it was a package deal. If GL is canned so is ATWT.

• Members

Exactly. I know you're more of an ATWT viewer, but there'd be no point in you getting emotionally connected to its competition if it's only a matter of time for that show too. I felt the same way about OLTL when it was Higley Hell and ratings outhouse basement. ATWT could have been the contemporary reincarnation of William Shakespeare and I still would have been reticent about getting emotionally attached to it. Maybe I overstate my case, but ...

• Members

BTW, I should add that it wasn't exactly a "package deal." While it's true both ATWT and GL were renewed together until September 2009, there is an automatic option for CBS to pick up GL at the same licensing fee through September 2010 if they wish. In other words, they're locked into a specific cost for GL that CAN'T go up if they choose to renew it another year (September 2009-2010). But P&G didn't give them that automatic option on ATWT, figuring they would be in a better bargaining position with that show than they would be with GL. So CBS would have to renegotiate the fee for ATWT if they wanted to renew that one through September 2010. I suspect they will, but will not exercise the automatic option on GL if it continues to sink.

• Members

Damn. Look at those year-to-year numbers. It looks like all that's left is to determine in what order the shows will die. Here's my guess:

GL, DAYS, ATWT then B&B. The next gets a little harder. I think ABC will dump OLTL. It doesn't have the cache of GH (Luke and Laura) or AMC (the home of Erica Kane) then AMC will go next. Then GH and Y&R will die together.

But I could see GH going before AMC.

• Members

ATWT

Wednesday: 1.9/2,904,000---------Hmmm....a large amout of viewers not HH's. Barbara was poisoned by Meg. Wow....funny concept...you show your vets or vet in danger....possible story..and u gets viewers...I would have never thought of that...ends sarcasm. :P

• Members

Unless one of the ABC shows REALLY starts to tank....or one of them REALLy breaks away and does significantly better than the other two, all three will go together. The differences in ratings among the three shows, even the demographics, are negligible. And for the record, I think all three will be the last to go.

Archived