June 16-20, 2008

Toups

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Because THAT worked so well.

I'm sure if the demos were higher, Frons would consider buying it. But frankly, if the demos aren't much better (and if Corday's not willing to part with it), I don't think Frons will touch it. Plus, he's a "brand marketing guy" (hence the homogenization of the ABC opening credits). He'd want Days to fit into his mold.

• Members

I'm a little lost. If ABC owns their soaps doesn't that make it easier for them to ditch them? Or at the very least cut their losses and shove them onto Soapnet where they can subsidize them with the revenue from OTH and The O.C. while creating some lame afternoon version of Good Morning America?

I'm not trying to start a fight. I genuinely don't grasp the dynamics. It seems like the only thing working in favor of ABC soaps is the fact that Disney will need programming for SoapNet. Which may keep the shows in production but only until there's enough other programming. Frankly it sounds like SoapNet could exist solely on reruns. They can start showing AMC from day one and pull in the same number of viewers that they do now.

• Members

They don't need to "cut their losses," they're still making money on their shows. As long as they make money, they'll keep them on the air. And since they own their shows, they'll make money longer than the networks who don't own their shows will. It's the same reason the networks have tried to keep as many of their primetime hours "in-house" productions since they were allowed to do it about about 8 years ago (before that, believe it or not, they weren't allowed to produce their own primetime entertainment shows, per FCC rules).

• Members

At the rate soaps are going yearly this is what ABC would look like

2010:

AMC 1.4

OLTL: 1.7

GH: 1.6

2011:

AMC 1.1

OLTL 1.5

GH: 1.3

2012:

AMc 0.8

OLTL 1.3

GH; 1.0

So ABC would keep their shows past 2012 with those kind of ratings?? Wow,,,,,I just dont see them doing it. JMO of course.

• Members

So they're all burning cash but ABC is burning it slower because they're heating a smaller space.

Got it.

So how does the cost-to-income ratio for soaps compare to a talk show like Good Morning America? Or a syndicated show like the (Emmy-winning, how I don't know) Tyra Banks Show?

• Members

If the networks can't afford it, no lesser channel can. At best you'd get a DAYS you wouldn't recognize.... which I fear is in store for all soaps before they eventually go under.

• Members

They're not burning money, because all the soaps are making at least SOME money right now. The difference is ABC makes more money, because of its ownership of its shows. But the profit margins for all the shows are getting slimmer and slimmer. A benefit for ABC is that they don't have to negotiate "set" costs for a new contract that lock them in for at least a year or longer. In other words, they can cut a contract actor, or cut down on expensive sets, and they will IMMEDIATELY see an increase in profits for the show. CBS and NBC, by contrast, don't get that benefit if such changes are made--they're locked into a fee for the show that won't change until their next renewal. At that renewal, they have to ask themselves whether or not the fee they negotiate will still be worth paying even if the show tanks even more. ABC doesn' t have to worry about that. If one of their shows really starts to tank, they can simply keep cutting costs.

ABC has more flexibility, and that will ensure their shows outlive the shows on other networks.

Archived