Where the Heart Is 1969-1973

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I missed the climax of the big storyline about Christine (Delphi Harrington) being stalked by someone who felt she ought to be punished because she was an unwed mother. The viewers knew fairly early on that the stalker was Will Watts, a rather mousy middle-aged man played by Robert Symonds. I believe I saw the episode where Will Watts had broken into Christine's house. Then a couple of days later there was an almost offhand reference to "that maniac that Chris killed." There were few if any flashbacks in those days.

Of course Chris had a great deal of trauma from the event, and that fueled the next big plot, the custody for Chris' little girl which had been fathered by Hugh Jessup (David Cryer).

• Members

Not having seen the earlier years, I was startled to read in the recaps that Loretta Jardin may have been, at least originally, somewhat mentally challenged. I had the vague impression that she was one of Julian's colleagues at the university, although this may have been an unwarranted assumption. As played by Alice Drummond during the last year, Loretta was quiet, intelligent, and kindly.

As RH fans know, Alice Drummond played Susie, the wife of the guy on the cruise who blackmailed Delia into having sex with him because he knew she was faking her injury. This hilarious performance undoubtedly helped her get the opportunity to play other blue-collar New Yorkers, as in HIDE IN PLAIN SIGHT and an even larger role in AWAKENINGS. But I'm sorry I didn't get to see Alice play more characters as bright and interesting as she undoubtedly was in real life.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

This show always fascinates me. Glad to see some new memories from people. 

@Joseph I don't think the multiple personality storyline lasted very long. I have a couple of scripts from the final months (mostly from late January / early February 1973). The main thrust of the story is Peter Jardin's accident in the garage. He had gone out to start up the snowblower and ended up lighting himself on fire. Labine and Mayer were telling their first child in peril medical story. In the few episodes I have, it is pretty brutal. Peter doesn't die from the fire instantly, but lingers on for DAYS. It is touch and go for several days before Peter perishes at some point. In the last script I have, Peter is still alive and is being visited by a classmate who has clearly taken a romantic interest in Peter. This comes after Steve Prescott has delivered a long speech about the things that he worries Peter will never get to experience like his first love. This was intended to let the Prescotts know that Peter had lived a very rich life despite how short it would turn out. 

I'd imagine Kate's mental decline would have only last a few weeks between mid to late February until the show's final week in March. 

@Nicholas BlairThanks again for sharing memories. Labine is one of my favorite soap writers. I was able to her her speak several years before her death at a local high school. She had fond memories of Diana van der Vlis. I was disappointed when she alluded to the fact that she hadn't kept any of her material from her early soaps days, but had planned on donating her "Ryan's Hope" material to the WGA. 

@slick jones I always enjoy your cast lists. I think Christine Cameron's daughter was named Katina without the R. I always thought it was Katrina, but I have now read it was was Katina named after Christine's best friend, Kate.

The details about Barbara Jessup and Harry Rowsky were interesting. I forgot that those early days had more of an underworld presence. The secondary families on the show, the Jessups and the Prescotts, intrigue me so I was happy to learn a bit more about Barbara and her husband.  

• Members

Credit where credit is due...  A kind member of the old school soap press sent me a pile of cancelled soap cast lists.  Amongst the papers was a three page outline of WTHI  story bullet points, two pages of LOL story points from 64-68, and a page and a half of long forgotten Secret Storm bullet points.  His assistance really was amazing.

The Ronsky details came from a former viewer in my FB group.  He's also filled in a lot of the LOL character tidbits.

@Nicholas Blair  Your detailed descriptions of stories are wonderful.  If you ever check the casts in the cast list threads, and can fill in any blanks or want to add tidbits about characters, please feel free to share.

• 1 month later...