ATWT - Suprising Sex Twist

• Members

Character destruction? Please. Carly is capable of anything and so is Holden who planning to run off with Julia, JJ's mother not too long ago. ATWT can do with some change and I have more than enough of both Carly/Jack and Holden/Lily. Their fanbases can eat cake.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree that fanbases can be annoying. On Days, our fanbases can be compared to ravenous wolves. Even though I love Holden and Lily, it;s not just about them as a couple for me. for me, it is about continuity and character.

First of all, I didn't watch when Holden was running off with Julia. It must have happened at a time when Days was watchable. However, the Holden I remember and knew wouldn't even sleep around on Lily when he had no memory of her after his plane crash. Obviously, they've been destroying him for a while, so it may be more palatable for those watching now. All I know is the ATWT I use to know, would NEVER have a character act totally out of the relm of possibility. Sleeping with the wife of a close family member.....not Holden Snyder. Not on his worst day. Not when he had amnesia. Lily is more capable, but even that can be a stretch.

Soaps have to change with the times and accomodate new storylines and possibilities. Holden and Lily remind me a lot of Bo and Hope on Days. They had them totally out of character and cheating, until JER finally had them break up for a realistic reason, the death of their son. As much as I hated the gist of the storyline, it made more sense to me than Bo sleeping with Billie, again. I'm not against angst between a supercouple (BTW: Holden and Lily are, IMHO, A Supercouple). I'm completely against ripping them apart in a foolish and uncharacteristic way. From the way things sound, Oakdale has changed. But from what I remember, Holden would never borrow a family members spouse for the night.

I would like to put a disclaimer, cause Reilly did in fact bring Bo having sex with Billie into when he had Billie set Bo up at the hotel, so per usual, Reilly had to take a serious storyline and turn it into a reason to push a triangle. The main idea though, that Bo and Hope break up because of complications over their sons death, was more in line with the characters than another "Bo gets tipsy and slides into bed with Billie" storyline.

• Members

I could see Maura being against it because it is another adultery story for her and it is kind of incestous considering that Carly has been in a relationship on and off for the past 11 years with Holden's cousin who is more like a brother to Jack than a cousin. Carly already was with Jack's brother. We don't need to see her with his other "brother."

• Members

The real problem isn't that "Carly and/or Holden wouldn't do this or that"....yeah, Carly's made a lot of bad decisions about men and everything else, and Holden's been known to sleep with women he wouldn't normally go for. (It's not like he hasn't shared women with both his brothers, Seth and Caleb.)

THE problem is that this is so "pull it out of their asses" JUNK, that you can tell they consciously decided to do the abso-freaking-lutely LAST THING that anyone would ever expect, and justified it with a bunch of throw-away garbage scenes they NEVER do. As if bonding with the kiddies is going to change Holden's long standing perception of Carly. As IF Carly would EVER be attracted to a guy who spends his afternoons mucking out stalls and talking to his horses in a dorky hat. They had to eviserate more than ten years of history to FIT THE PLOT, and they want a slap on the back for accomplishing it in two months.

I don't even think this is to reestablish Holden and Lily...I think it's to finally toll the bell on them and make them viable characters again. I just don't think it's going to work. And it surely didn't need to be done at Carly's expense. While Carly "stirs the pot", to constantly be handed that role jeopardizes her humanity. (They did this with Babs, and do it to Em and Paul all the time.) I think Maura works hard at keeping Carly from being a cariacture, but TAIC constantly expect miracles from the girl. It's daunting enough to try and make Holden look interesting, but pissing on Lily-the-heroine's parade? Oy vey....

I'll eat cake waiting for Carjack to reunite....but who gets to be Marie Antoinette?

• Members

It's not nice to mess with CarJackers. Take it from someone who knows. ;)

Frankly, I could have gotten behind a Holden/Carly pairing if the set-up had been more appropriate. Instead, I feel as if Chris Goutman and Jean Passanante were the tiniest bit too eager to jump into this, and in the process, have skipped alot of important beats.

• Members

Exactly, Soapsuds. That's one of my biggest problems with ATWT (aside from the generally dark tone of the stories). Characters on this show are thrusted into relationships entirely too fast. Look at Katie Peretti, for example. It's utterly ridiculous that that girl has married as many times as she has. Not even Erica Kane had married as often as Katie had when she was her age!

• Members

Katie is another character destroyed by these hacks. She sure went from man to man very quickly. There is just no rooting value in these characters anymore. It's just lazy writing by Pissant and Goutman.

• Members

Jack and Lily would be as dull together as Holden and Carly are....Plus never know when Lily will up and leave again to 'sort' out her life.

I could see Carly with almost anyone but Holden....it just makes no sense... First off; as Jon Hensley pointed out himself, Holden couldn't stand Carly; told Lily in fact to keep away from her; bad-mouthed her to Jack...now they all of a sudden are getting cat scratch fever for one another? Please.

• Members

Oy...hush your mouth! I'm praying JP doesn't go there either. And it doesn't take a psychic to see TAIC have no investment in Beck as Lily. If Goutman finally admits to himself the story isn't working, odds are Beck will be gone for "storyline reasons" quicker than you can say "Pissy sucks".

I'm hopeful that this is all plot-driven contrivance, and TAIC don't have any intention of Carly/Holden lasting longer than a ONS. "Bonding" and "being friends" my ass. Unless you believe in the theory that Carly/Holden only didn't get along because of Jack/Lily's skewed perceptions and bad-mouthing. (I personally don't buy it either....Holden couldn't even support Carly when Jack had amnesia.)

I don't blame JH for pimping the story...it's his job. You never hear the real juicy opinions until later...if you're lucky. I remember it breaking my heart when Grant Aleksander said he never "got" Pharley.

• Members

I have a feeling it was Maura. I'm sure JH likes it because he is getting on screen more than he has in years.

I've always liked Jon Hensley and Maura West makes me watch all the time but in this storyline, I find my self walking away from the tv and not watching when they are on screen. I've never done that before. Even when Carly was with Mike, Craig, and Simon, I was glued to the show. I just do not like Holden with Carly. He is just to bland and blah!!!!!

Bettybee

• Members

I just cannot watch my girl Carly with Holdumb. She's pretty much being used a spoiler for Lilden when she should NOT be. The same could be said of Holdumb in regards to CarJack too.

There is so many things they can do with these two characters and with Lilden

Archived