Loving/The City Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I could swear Schneider was on Loving when Celeste Holms was playing Isabelle, he played soem con artist businessman involved with Shana.

The face cream story had Dabmey playing Isabelle wearing a veil over her face like Vanessa Prentiss from Y&R!

• Members

I recently acquired a script from 'Loving.' The original airdate was around September 30, 1994, but it's noted on the script this was tentative. At the time it was written, the O.J. trial was going on and 'Loving' was heavily preempted. Nixon is still credited as headwriter, which I found a bit of a surprise as I've read fall previews Laurie McCarthy and Addie Walsh gave SOD, but Walsh and McCarthy were probably commenting on what was to come as new headwriters.

Anyway, the script featured three character groupings: (A) Steffi and Cooper (B) Charles, Frankie, Angie, and a bit of Curtis © Ava and Jeremy/Gilbert. Steffi and Coop's story was the one I was most interested in, but their storyline hits an emotional climax. Coop confronts Steffi over her bulimia and Steffi confesses she is ill. The material is fairly well written with Steffi giving a detailed history of the events leading her to her bulimia. I think this was a rather important scene for the couple as months earlier Steffi got Coop to confess he had been molested by Selina, his nanny. I believe the bulimia storyline had played out for some time and was beign revisited. Anyway, I think I would have liked Steffi and Coop from what little I've seen. Heinle seemed to work as Steffi unlike some of her later roles.

The Jeremy/ Gilbert stuff isn't my cup of tea and a bit of a retread of Agnes' favorite Jonathan/Keith plot. In this episode, Gilbert is impersonating Jeremy during an evening with Ava. The whole two Jeremy angles bothers me, but I suspect Agnes planned on utilizing Alex's past as Clay to figure out there were two Jeremys. Anyway, most of its rather rudimentary, but there is a rather interesting angle. Gilbert doesn't believe Ava loves him so he ends up hanging over the ledge of a balcony to test Ava. He is genuinely surprised when Ava responds to his call for help.

In the third segment, Angie is recovering from her bone marrow transplant she received from the late Janie Sinclair. Charles is desperately trying to get workaholic Angie to settle down. When Curtis comes over with questions, Angie talks to him. Curtis is wondering about brain tumors and such. The subtext suggests Curtis has caught on to the two Jeremys story and is trying to get to the bottom of the strange behavior. Anyway, Curtis leaves and Frankie and Charles arrange for Angie to go stay with Pat in Washington, D.C. Angie asks Charles to look after Curtis, who seems to have gone over the edge again.

• Members

DC thanks, that's fascianting. I have a lot of Loving on video from that time--didn't Nixon actually follow Addie Walsh's second run at the show--and then she stayed on as official consultant (though it sounds like she was for most of Loving's run) when Brown and Esensten took over? I did like Steffi and Cooper as a couple, partly due to their shared traumas--and Heinle did at least for me work well in the role.

Gilbert/Jerem,y was kinda a bust of a story, honestly... For some reason I thought Angie had started seeing Jacobn by Sep of '94...

• Members

I have an ad of that time which asks for a Jean le Clerc lookalike contest, and how you can win a lunch with him if you know someone who looks like him. They included a photo of Jean as Jeremy (looking normal), and Gilbert (looking "mean"). It was just so awful. I'd love to know who won that. Maybe if Michael Logan had shaved his mustache and put on bulky clothes.

• Members

Loving's HW list looks something like this.

Doug Marland (Jun. '83- Jun. '85) [he had a two year contract he didn't renew]

Agnes Nixon (c. Jun. '85-)

Ralph Ellis (no later than October 1987-c. Apr. 1988) [he didn't return from the Writer's Strike]

Writers Strike (spring 1988-September 1988)

Tom King & Millee Taggert (Sept. 1988-1991)

Mary Ryan Munisteri (1991-no earlier than Dec. 1991) [she's credited in the Matt trial episodes]

Addie Walsh (1992-Jun. 1992) [left as a result of a conflict with Haidee Granger according Granger's wiki page]

No headwriter (summer 1992) [Granger acted as defacto head writer]

Millee Taggert & Robert Guza (Sept. 1992-1993)

Millee Taggert (1993-fall 1993) [an Oct/Nov 1993 SOD said she was leaving due to illness]

Agnes Nixon (late 1993-fall 1994)

Addie Walsh & Laurie McCarthy (late 1994-early 1995)

James Harmon Brown & Barbara Essensten (early 1995-November 1995)

Edited by dc11786

• Members

I need to go over my tapes again, and you know so much about Loving that I had to sound anagl and argue this--but I was pretty obsessed with trying to get some sorting of when who wrote what, and had Walsh (with McCarthy) between Taggert and Nixon not after. I think one of the articles Carl posted mentioned Nixon HW it very late 94 with B/E announced to come in soon to replace her but with her as consultant. But...