Sex and the City: The Movie

Sylph

• Members

I just saw the film last weekend (the problem with living in a small town where comic book movies arrive as soon as they come out and movies geared toward anyone not a geek or teenage boy, come a few weeks late).

I really liked most of it.

My biggest gripe is that Jennifer Hudson seemed out of place since her scenes were so centered around Carrie and not with the rest of the group.

I have to admit, I cried for Carrie when she realized Big wasn't coming. Although, I agree that Aiden was a much better man for her. I was sort of hoping she'd reconnect with him at the end instead of marrying Big.

As gross as it was, I laughed out loud when Charlotte poughkeepsied herself.

I thought the film did a good job of focusing on the women's friendship and to me it felt like an extended episode of the show. I was also really glad that Samantha reverted to her old self and broke up with Smith. Even though Jason Lewis is hot, Samantha should be the one woman who doesn't need a man to be happy! I did wish that we had seen Jason full-frontal naked just once, though... :P

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I saw it a couple of weeks ago and I LOVED it! It was just like the series only with that movie touch/feel. Awesome! The girls personalities were just the same. Miranda as pessimistic as ever. And she managed to do that one stupid selfish thing she always did. And that's not a bad thing for me as a fan of the show (and now the movie), because I want her to be the same Miranda she was when I watched the series. She's my least favorite of the main four characters because of who she is, but I still wanted her to be the same when I sat down in the velvet red chair. Ohh, and I felt so bad for Steve (whom I adore). My first thought when he told her about what he did was... "she deserved it" ( :unsure: ). She was so mean to him all the time, and well perhaps no one deserves it but I had very little sympathy for her.

Anyway, I laughed so hard watching this movie and it was just a blast! My friends were as stunned as I when it was over.

I do hate watching films at the movies sometimes though because there's always some idiot who's gonna ruin the mood. Like when Carrie smashed Big in the head with the flowers, he went after her and Charlotte got in his way and protected Carrie. Ok, Kristin Davis' eyes looks funny sometimes, but that moment was NOT funny. It just wasn't. I guess the person who laughed haven't really watched the series and didn't know the background very well. But I just wanted to scream "shut the h*ll up" when she ruined that scene for me and several others.

Ohh JP, what you said in your first post... I agree with everything!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

I finally saw this movie last week and loved it. It was catered to the fans of the show and stayed true to the series. I had no idea that this was going to be stretched out over a year and this could have been 2 seasons on HBO, but they made it work for the big screen.

If I had one complaint was that I didnt care for Samantha's plotline. What was the point of her and her neighbor, if they werent going to screw? It felt as if that went nowhere. Miranda was a bitch and I felt more bad for Steve than her.

• Members

I enjoyed the movie for the fairy tale that it was. I went with some girl friends and it was a bonding experience. I love that Samantha went her own way at the end!

However, I don't think I'll be buying the DVD of the movie. I have most of the series on DVD and I treasure them much more. Probably because I am still going through what these thirtysomething (at the time) singleton characters were going through. This summer I went through a bit of a down period and those DVDs really reinvigorated me, for some reason. They were perfection.

I wished I could have seen the multiple endings they had planned for the end of the series, though. I know they had three filmed: one where Carrie ends up with Big in Paris (and which was eventually screened), one where she stays with Aleksandr, one where she goes her own way completely.

P.S.: In the movie, was there some non-nudity clause or something? I was surprised that Cynthia Nixon was the only one with the nekkid love scenes. Obviously SJP has always studiously avoided any of those, but Kim Cattrell and Kristen Davies didn'y get any either. On the show, they were always getting teh sex. I think I've seen Cattrell's boobs more than my own!

• Members

I enjoyed the movie but thought samantha's plotline was so unbelievable. Are we to believe that Sam was in a longlasting relationship for 5 years plus, when in the series her longest relationship was like a month maybe??? I just didn't buy it. Sam was a strong woman during the series, they made her weak in this movie. Carrie should of dumped Big instead of getting back with him, how many times will she let this man humiliate her. An let me guess if they have a part two big will cheat on her and carrie will take him back. :rolleyes: Carrie's grief over losing big should of been enough to cut big out of her life for good not get back with him. Miranda/Charlotte's storylines were the only two believable storylines in the movie. I'm also pissed that J-Hud was pretty much introduced at the end, she could of been carrie's assistant from the beginning of the movie and whats with her not interacting with the rest of the cast besides SJP??? :angry: This movie was okay but it could of been better. I don't recommend they do a part two, what would it be about? They pretty much wrapped up what little storyline they had left from the series finale.

• Members

I really, really loved the movie.... It was everything that I dreamed the movie to be, and then some. This could have gone wrong in so many ways, but thankfully it didn't. Did the movie have its problems? Sure. Hudson didn't easily fit in, and it was kind of predictable at points. But I didn't mind that. What I wanted to see was the characters (and, yes, the glamour and fashion) and SEX AND THE CITY's best writer, Michael Patrick King, gave me that. It was a kinda down to Earth, character-driven movie, and I loved every single moment of it. Saw it twice. :lol:

Archived