Which Writers Aren't Working Who Should Be?

• Members

Hmmm... There are plenty of writers in daytime with far less firings than 12. I think it's only "irrelevant" when you like the person. Then it becomes "experience." When you don't like the writer, then it becomes "another recycled writer." Because there are now only 8 shows left on daytime, and my brutha's been through half of them already. Look, I know we're all supposed to love TC and such, but personally, I don't know him nor do I know any of his work, so just because he has a fabulous personality doesn't do anything for me.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Word. Annointing someone (anyone) "the great write hope" because they blog about the industry (TC and Sara Bibel) makes no sense. You can be the world's best blogger and not have a clue when it comes to soap writing.

• Members

So he was basically fired from every show? Even though he "left ATWT on his own"... What I find mind-boggling is that people want him on Y&R even though he clearly said he didn't mesh well with the show, its characters, structure of episodes etc.

And how can a number of firings be irrelevant? Surely, it can't be that you're all pure gold and everybody else is just mean, evil and vengeful and they all want to fire you...

Thank God someone said it!! I'm so sick with all this praise and the non sequitur where if you write a good (which is discussable), then you can write well for a soap. Makes no sense at all! But you know what's my confort? In knowing these people who praise whatever he does hate him more than anyone else in the world. Strange, but hey...

He seems OK, but more than that, I don't know.

• Members

Sylph, I agree with you and made a long post about this on [sITE NAME NOT ALLOWED] when it was announced Hogan was joining Y&R. I also mentioned it in less detail on In the Zone a few weeks ago. He was part of Hogan's team at DAYS and apparently they got on well together, but that is not enough reason for him to join Y&R. He already said he doesn't get the show and to return would officially make him a hack, IMO. He'd be accepting a job for the money and really nothing else. We'd have another LML who doesn't understand the show trying to turn it into something they do understand. I fear we'll have that already with Hogan. I hope his primetime soap works so he doesn't end up back at Y&R.

I'm listening to his Daytime Confidential interview and the woman who got him his start in daytime was Leah Laiman. I see him working with hack after hack after hack and that worries me. He could be the next Bill Bell, but we have no way of knowing that right now. I need to see him part of a successful team first. This is another reason his primetime show will be interesting, so we can see what his true vision is.

Digressing a bit, so I'll try and swing back on topic...

I'd like to see Eleanor Labine writing a soap. I noticed that she's written for many soaps without her mother which shows an interest in the genre. I'd like to see what kind of talent she has and how much she inherited from her mother. I'd also like to see Labine given another chance at a soap with no interference and that she clicks with. Maybe she just needs to return to General Hospital. IMO, modern GH belongs to her on the writing front. She established what they're so poorly trying to execute these days. Of course, without the romance, balance and family drama.

Archived