Parks and Recreation: Discussion Thread

Toups

• 5 years later...
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So...um...I was watching one of the season 1 episodes ("The Banquet"), and Rashida Jones and Amy Poehler have great chemistry together. Physically they're actually a really good match.

I think I need to go find some fic about Leslie and Ann. If there is any.

This is one of those shows where most of the deleted scenes are even better than the episodes.

What did you think of them getting rid of Mark? Did you care about him?

• Members

Not really. I barely remember the character and they added Rob Lowe and Adam Scott as love interests for the characters of Lesly and Ann, both of whom were better characters anyway

What I love about the show since he left was that all the characters are great and its rare that I like every single cast member but from Lesly to Andy to Donna to Ron, everyone adds something and the dynamic between them all just work.

2013_0620_NBCU_Parks_Hero_Template_04_97

• Members

It seems like he was set up to be her love interest. I guess Ben Scott took that role over. (or is it Adam Scott?)

I have such a tough time seeing Rob Lowe fit into the show. When I get to his episodes it's going to be strange.

I can't believe that other than a "Who Do You Think You Are?" I'd never watched anything with Rashida Jones (I'm one of the few who never watched The Office). She's terrific on this show.

• Members

I still can't get over the fact that she grew up with Paris Hilton, Nicole Ritchie and the Kardashians, etc ... It's crazy (and wonderful) how different she is from them. It makes me think very highly of Quincy. And that she escaped that Valley accent should be something she's thankful for everyday.

• Members

I did not know Rashida grew up with that crowd.. kudos for her for keeping above water.

Verizon Fios has the entire last season on free on-Demand... it was an awesome season. I love that we got to see more of the cast outside of work. I really do love each character. Though, I think Donna gets the best punchlines and has the most ecentricities being played as a norm.

• Members

He was in the first two seasons. Leslie had had a one-night stand with him years earlier (which he barely remembered). I have only gotten up to the end of the first season but at that time it seemed like they were supposed to become a couple.

I kept reading that the finale (Rock Show) was the first episode the critics liked and showed potential, but I didn't have any strong opinion on it. My favorite of the first season was the Canvassing episode.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Rashida Jones and Rob Lowe are leaving the show. http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/08/01/parks-and-recreation-mike-schur-rob-lowe-rashida-jones/

I'm watching the first disc of season 2. I actually preferred the first season, which I guess makes me in the minority.

I've enjoyed some of the episodes and stories (Leslie's relationship with Louis CK is surprisingly sweet and normal, and the relationship between Ann and Mark, while slightly dull, seems "real", not like most sitcoms now), but some of it is trying so hard (like the gay marriage episode) I had to skip in lieu of cringing. And seeing Fred Armisen guest as a "funny foreigner" type character in 2009 just seems a little wrong. Not sure why he kept being asked to play minorities here and on SNL.

I like some of the crazy stuff they slip through, like the "hot" beauty pageant winner spewing hardcore anti-immigrant bile, and only Leslie noticing. And I still love the friendship between Leslie and Ann, which is so rare for TV. I do enjoy seeing more of Donna, and Jerry (was he even in the first season?).

The deleted scenes still make me laugh - the one where Leslie and Donna try to do a Larry Bird accent, having no idea what that would be, is hilarious.

Tom was annoying the hell out of me in the early episodes - too many cutaways of him making "adorable" faces - but he's not as bad as the season goes along. I like that he gave the money he got from the Venezuelans to the park project fund.

April's deadpan is put to good use most of the time. The beauty pageant one was probably my favorite, especially her asking "sister" Leslie to vote for her.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Still making my way through season 2 of Parks and Rec. I just watched Justin Theroux's last episode. I enjoyed his character, although he worked better as the perfect man than as the weird "guy who is a tourist and only wants to have stories to add to his collection" which felt like they were just looking for a way to write him out.

Considering my only real memories of Theroux are his running around naked on Six Feet Under, and being Jennifer Aniston's latest Brad Pitt replacement/tabloid bait, I was surprised how much I enjoyed him. Subtle comic timing, attractive, and he fit in well with the cast. I especially enjoyed his scenes with Tom (not so much when they acted like Tom was his child - the show seems to have a very hard time figuring out what to do with Tom beyond having Aziz riff).

The slow-building April/Andy relationship is very believable.

I wish they didn't always have to bash poor Jerry.

I love the Leslie/Ron relationship, especially when they fight but in the end stick up for each other.

• Members

That's the season I barely remember, I just sort of watched on autopilot. I think I might remember Nadine Cooper's head in a jar. (or was that season 5?) and Claire boringly making out with Mena Sufivehead.

I thought he was great on this show. Too bad he isn't in more sitcoms.

• Members

It was mostly the early days when I had some struggles with her. As we've seen her develop I care more about her, yet they haven't taken away her early characterization.

The character I'm most ambivalent about will probably always be Tom.

Archived