Kings: Discussion Thread

Toups

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

We seem to like a lot of the same shows...most of which get canceled. :lol: Let's hope we have better luck this time around. Are you watching T:TSCC? That's one of my other favorites, that I'm very concerned for this year.

Anyway, back on topic, did that promo say when it's going to premier?

• Members

:lol: Figures. T:TSCC did get their back 9 episodes, but it's looking shaky for next years renewal to say the least, although at least it will be paired with Doll House in Feb. Plus the new Terminator move is coming out next year.

I noticed that Kings wasn't on the schedule, which is why I was hoping someone knew the premier date. It looks like they are doing viral marketing so maybe it still will air this winter at some point. I hope.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I liked it! For the past year, I've been interested in Monarchy (after watching the movies Elizabeth, Elizabeth: The Golden Age, The Other Boleyn Girl), so it was interesting to see a modern day Monarchy in the "New York"/Kingdom of Gilboa. I really liked the cast too. I first noticed Allison Miller (Michelle) on Boston Legal and she's just so beautiful! :wub: I've never seen Ian McShane in anything before but I've always read/heard how good of an actor he is, and they were right. He is such a powerful actor. I thought Christopher Egan (David) was pretty good too. David is a very rootable character and I already like his romance with Michelle. Dylan Baker is great as the evil brother-in-law, and it looks like will take Silas' first born son, Jack, under his wing to battle Silas and David. The music was very cinematic - I immediately thought of Gladiator, so it wasn't surprising to see Lisa Gerrald doing the music. The show looks good too - love the cinematography and sets and costumes.

I think my favorite scene was with Silas and Jack when Silas revealed that he knows about Jack being gay and that he better shape up since he's in line to become King.

The show has a lot of potential. I love the political themes and backstabbing and soap opera elements.

I hope the show gets decent ratings but I don't think it will. It's too much of a high concept and those rarely get good ratings. :(

Anyone know the name of the piano tune that David was playing? It's by Liszt(?).

• Members

I thought it was awesome. Didn't think I would because it did last for two hours, but I can honestly say that I had so much fun watching to know it lasted for 2 hrs. Not one boring moment. I'm rather glad I skipped DH.

Sigh Toups, I hope NBC does allow the 13 episodes to air.

• Members

NBC would have been better off ordering it as and touting this show as a miniseries. How the hell could one squeeze out five seasons of show out of a miniseries concept?

I LOVED Kings, but this story is not network television series material. Or series material in general. I'd love for the show to have a definite ending and then get sold to DVD. It would make me happy.

• Members

Nikki Finke for the WIN!

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/ben-...-bomb/#comments

I'm told NBC Universal spent a whopping $10 million on Sunday's two-hour opener for Kings and another $4 million per episode. That's a staggering amount of money to lavish on any drama series, especially one that's a bomb. By now you've seen the ratings reports about Kings pulling in horrible numbers -- a 1.6 rating/4 share in 18-49 demgraphics, and 6 million viewers overall. (ABC's heavy hitter Desperate Housewives was No. 1 from 9PM to 10PM.) Nor does Jeff Zucker have anyone to blame but himself for this disaster. Because I hear that Ben Silverman was hands-on. Remember, please, that Ben's predecessor at NBC Entertainment, Kevin Reilly, passed on it. But Ben picked up the script and ran with it. Some thought it should have been a mini-series, but Ben said no. Others thought the modernized Bible retelling should have had more backstory, and at one point Silverman ordered the writers to make it "more real world". So he told them to work up a cockamamie scenario whereby the Allies never won World War II, and America went bankrupt afterwards, which meant no oil out of the Middle East, so Mexico got rich, and then... Ugh, does anybody give a [!@#$%^&*]? It was scrapped anyway.

Kings was supposed to move into the Thursday 10 PM ER slot (once coveted when the network was still Must-See TV) but has now been banished to Sunday at 8 PM where it can't do any harm since no one is watching NBC that night anyway. This latest failure follows NBC's derivative restaurant reality series The Chopping Block also receiving a pathetic 4 share in 18-to-49 demos for its debut Wednesday. No wonder Ben has less and less to do with programming -- which was why he was hired in the first place -- and more and more to do with liaising with advertisers. (Even though that job is well below his pay grade.) I have a thought: to improve his performance, NBC Universal should rebrand Silverman as Ben SYlverman. That's more likely than Zucker ever admitting he made a mistake hiring him in the first place.

I can't believe Ben Silverman spent 10 Mil for the pilot and 4 Mil for each episode! Unbelievable! It looks good, but as I said before(and apparently people within NBC agreed), that this worked better as a miniseries.

I watched fully expecting to hate the show. I don't at all. But I'm not surprised this show only racked up 6 Million viewers.

• Administrator

Lost's 2 hour pilot costs between 10-14 million and Fringe's 2 hour pilot cost 10 million, so it isn't unprecedented for a network to spend big bucks on pilots. My beef is why spend so much on a pilot and then hold it for mid-season?

Oh well, can't wait for tonight's episode.

Archived