TV Guide Canada-

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Words can't express how amazed and happy I am that OLTL is being praised so much (not only by that Nelson dude, but also by more than half of this forum). The show is finally back on track, and everything as of May 2 has been pure delight. At the same time, my heart is breaking while watching Y&R. I can't quit watching the show again (I quit sometime after the Pheila storyline and returned the day when Lynn was gone from the credits), so I am forced to go though all of that. I like the characters, but absolutely nothing is happening. I want something from Maria, but nothing is going on. Maybe an advice from Ron? Or anyone who worked on Y&R? Please Maria, do something before another Phick-anniversary-ratings-drop happens again.

• Members

The false note in Nelson's rapturous prose was his B&B/Y&R comments.

Heather Tom is TOTALLY rocking her post-transplant scenes...but Nelson wanted that to go to KKL? I love my Brooke, but her acting limits came into full focus during the rape storyline. The decision to give the heart-shot to Katie was a smart, strategic one...give the hardest stuff to the best actress. It is true that Brooke had more history and karmic relevance here...but not really the chops to pull it off.

More fundamental, what is he TALKING about regarding Y&R's casting problems? Granted, Amelia Heinle is limited...but until Heather Tom can come back, Heinle is a perfectly fine placeholder, and it would be disruptive to cast again.

As for Sabrina played by Lisa Peluso or Crystal Chappell????? And still be Vikki's best friend? How does that work, age wise? How does that work with a character construed as a European/Arabian cultured woman? Totally off the hook. I like Reya in the role...but regardless, his casting choices are "huh"s.

And then there is the REMARKABLE Chris Engen. He plays a cornfed boy with a tortured inner life just beautifully. Wistful for his mother and his goodness (which he has sanctified in his mind). Resentful to the Newman kids...not so much for what they had, but for their ingratitude. Curious but remote to his father.... Flirtatious and sexy, especially with Skye.

That the character hasn't gelled is clear, but not unexpected. But like any new transplant, he's spinning story roots everywhere, and the actor has a subtle complexity that draws the attention. Again, they could have gone with a darker, smoldering choice....but that wouldn't be Kansas.

Archived