Mariah dethrones the king

Sylph

• Members

Um, WTF? I was actually on another board where this article was posted and then I came on SON and posted it here. I think it's good to offer a variety of options, don't you? I didn't "spent some time" at all really. :rolleyes:

And this has what to do with Madonna? I'm not a fan of everything she's done, but in terms of pop culture status, both Madonna and Elvis are way ahead of Mariah and that's something you can't ignore. Mariah may have more #1's in the US (because worldwide her chart stats are not comparable to that of The Beatles, Elvis, Madonna, and Michael Jackson's), but that doesn't make her music memorable to the masses in the long-run. She's one of those artist who does trendy music to fit in with the times....

Yeah and? I wasn't trying to impose my opinion on you. The fact that you seem bent out of shape because Noel and I offer a different viewpoint in this thread speaks volumes...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is a farce, that's what this topic is! :lol: I intentionally threw the time-spending thing in just to test my hypothesis. Turns out - I was right. :P It, of course, provoked a typical, startled reply with a touch of irony, offence and of argumentum ad verecundiam. :P What the hell does Noel have to do with this? I don't care if you spent the time or not, I just don't. It was just a test.

Anyway, I don't care, I don't agree and I don't think it's a real, effective argument that Madonna and Elvis have secured their pop culture status. I just don't. If I have to say that out loud, I will.

And I think her music is "memorable to the masses in the long run". De gustibus non est disputandum. B) How and why did this turn into a fight I have yet to find out... :unsure:

• Members

I'm not up for arguing over music but I happen to like some of Elvis' music, Mariah Carey's, Janet Jackson's, and Madonna's. All of them have at least one song with good lyrics and more than a few with not so great lyrics.

Of the women, Mariah Carey is the only pure singer and I appreciate her songs more when she's using her range and not just doing the breathy thing (though some of the breathy songs have nice beats to them). Janet Jackson is more of an entertainer with a weak voice, who happened to be blessed with an excellent production team and there's a massive difference between what they did for her and what she's done without them. Madonna is also more of an entertainer who has been great at reinventing herself (though I haven't liked all of her phases).

I don't see why anyone needs to begrudge Mariah Carey's status as a solo artist with the most number one hits just because she surpassed Elvis in that category. Her accomplishing that feat doesn't diminish Elvis' status in anyway and there's no need reason the writer needed to put her down. I hope she continues to have much more success.

Archived