Patrick Swayze?

applcin

• Members

There's stories all over the place because the National Enquirer printed a report that Patrick Swayze has pancreatic cancer and was given only 5 weeks to live. Everybody's picking up on that story but so far there hasn't been "official" confirmation.

On the one hand, it is the National Enquirer. On the other....I keep thinking about Michael Landon and how he was basically forced to come out with his cancer because the tabloids had run with it.

:( :(

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

On the Internet, that seems to be the buzz everywhere, but there's no official confirmation that it's true. They say that he's lost 20lbs in the last few weeks, and is surviving solely on a liquid diet as he is having trouble keeping down his solids.

They also say that sufferers of pancreatic cancer typically have a survival rate of less than 5%, but as the cancer has spread to Patrick's other vital organs he has an even lower chance of beating the disease.

• Members

He apparently has les than 5 weeks to live. H ewas diagnosed with the cancer in December. He has had exensive kemotherapy, but his doctors have now said he can't fight. He is now in a California hospital, and he is being made confortable until the end.

I don't know what to say. The first time I saw him was as a bad guy in a television movie with Barbara Eden. Then there was his star making turn as Orry Main in North And South.

I pray he gets well.

• Members

There's an article here that says his mother confirmed he has cancer but disagrees with the 5-week diagnosis. One of his doctors also disagrees:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23328133-1702,00.html

Also found the official statement from his publicist:

"Actor Patrick Swayze has been diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer and is currently undergoing treatment.

Patrick's physician Dr. George Fisher states, 'Patrick has a very limited amount of disease and he appears to be responding well to treatment thus far. All of the reports stating the timeframe of his prognosis and his physical side effects are absolutely untrue. We are considerably more optimistic.' Patrick is continuing his normal schedule during this time, which includes working on upcoming projects. The outpouring of support and concern he has already received from the public is deeply appreciated by Patrick and his family."

Incidentally, ever since I've been watching Dancing With The Stars, I've wanted to see Patrick (and maybe his wife) come on as guest performers. I thought it would have been so cool if he had been in the "Time of My Life" "Dirty Dancing" recreation they did a couple of seasons ago.

I hope the doctor's optimism is true. :mellow:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived