ATWT: Martha Byrne leaving

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ATWT is in dire need of a behind the scenes change. I may be annoyed with Lily from time to time, but the character wouldn't be in the deplorable state she's in right now had there been a better HW and EP there. JP and CG have worn out their welcomes and are too damn stale, it's time for new blood ATWT!

I don't blame Martha if she's throwing a fit over the creative direction of her character and the show in general. Who can honestly blame her?

• Members

It would be a blow if MB left. However, the show has three other key characters in her age group (Emily, Carly and Meg), so the gap could be closed. An immediate recast wouldn't work. Sending her away for a while wouldn't be awful. Her stories have basically sucked and part of it is the attachment to Holden. You break them up and people are unhappy. Keep them together and it's pretty boring. It's too bad Lesli Kay is so tied to California because bring Molly back would be fun. MB is a class act and has been one of a handful of actors who has successfully transitioned from teen to adult. I only wish her the best. (I hope she stays and gets a kick a** SL.)

• Members

I agree that sending away MB for a while wouldn't be horrible. Lily has been worn thin by bad storylines for quite a while (before Passanante, and even before Hogan.) I agree that it would be fun to bring back Molly. I never liked Lesli Kay until she left, now I love her as Felicia on B&B. To bring her back and play out the Lily/Holden/Molly triangle again might be cool.

• Members

*Dusty forgive me*

I'm completely the opposite....I think the show would be fine without Lily. If Martha goes, the character should take a break, period. I'd be more worried about what that would do to Lucinda's airtime than anything else.

Lily's been on a slippery slope since Hogan took over. HE didn't "understand" Lily. He dumped her onto Simon, then he ignored her in favor of Rose. Holden and Lily are played out. Good grief, their "separation" was barely official before the writers chickened out and had Holden covering for her and practically swearing his undying love again.

I think the real mystery is what Martha could want that TIIC would balk at? Some kind of pay or play clause like Tom Eplin got?

• Members

Losing MB would be a horrible move on ATWT's part. I also am curious as to what it is in her contract that TIIC won't put in since it isn't money...what else is there? Does she want a Grandma Clause like Eileen Fulton had for years? I don't know what she could be requesting that's so out of order for the P&G execs who have usually worked hard to keep their stars reasonably appeased. And that's the big thing: Martha is the marquee actress at ATWT, she's the star and if the execs think otherwise they're kidding themselves.

• Members

And no doubt, the other half is more concerned about Nuke's kiss count.

The "pay or play" clause in Tom Eplin's contract is what forced P&G to bring him over to ATWT after AW went off the air. Supposedly, Eplin's AW contract stipulated he got paid whether or not AW got cancelled. The only reason he ended up at ATWT was because P&G was contractually bound to pay him. Being money-tight Midwesterners, they made him work instead of just sitting at home.

Archived