ATWT: Martha Byrne leaving

• Members

Can you really blame some of the folk either wanting to leave ATWT to do other things; especially when their characters are constantly being marginalized or basically given storylines that wind up becoming big bombs?

Granted Scott Bryce didn't leave on his own accord, but the feeling is still the same; he was hyped to return; they gave him a zinger of a storyline that boxed the character of Craig in and now he's gone; same with Cady. Now you have Martha possibly leaving....I have nothing but love for this woman; excellent actress that has been boxed in by the storylines that they toss at her....If this is true, I wish her nothing but the utmost best because she deserves it.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ATWT appears to be a sinking ship. Fan favorites are put in horrible stories, actors are fired to make room for less talented newbies. i swear ATWT must have an ABC executive over there. They're seriously channeling ABC right now.

Martha shouldn't accept the nonsense ATWT is giving her. Hell, I think all the big stars should band together and demand changes creatively at that show.

• Members

That's what I have wondered about too. With no certainly of the future for the show, it wouldn't shock me to learn it is something like that. I doubt however the show would want to set that kind of precedent and then have others ask for the same thing.

I do think her leaving would be a big loss for the show and hope they can work it out.

• Members

It is official:

http://community.tvguide.com/blog/TVGuide-...-News/800054969

Martha Byrne Exits As the World Turns

Martha Byrne by Robert Voets/CBSThis totally sucks. Procter & Gamble has confirmed that two-time Emmy winner Martha Byrne will soon exit As the World Turns. Other websites are reporting that the fan fave — who plays Lily Snyder — nixed an insulting offer to re-sign her contract. Not so, claims the soap’s executive producer Chris Goutman. “We made Martha an incredibly generous offer in hopes that she would remain a valuable member of the ATWT cast,” Goutman says in a statement. “Unfortunately, Martha has decided to leave despite our best efforts to keep her.”

Those close to the situation swear that’s no baloney. “When Goutman says ‘generous,’ he means it — the offer was generous by anyone’s standards,” insists one longtime staffer. “I don’t know what else the show could have done for Martha.”

The actress, who is still taping episodes, will be off the air by April. Word is, a recast is likely. —Michael Logan

• Members

I don't think I can watch someone else as Lily as soon as Martha's gone as well.

ATWT is a sinking ship creatively. Kudos to Martha for standing up for the integrity of the character she plays and the creative state of the show in general.

Goutman needs to go...

I think I'll give the show another chance when both Goutman and Passanante are gone, which will probably be NEVER.

• Members

I wonder what the divine Elizabeth Hubbard will have to say about this. She left ATWT for similar reasons before, and the last time, it helped get former EP Felicia Minei Behr fired (though was a decent EP, her stuff on AMC was golden, she just didn't mesh well with certain aspects of ATWT). I can only hope Martha leaving can have the same effect on Goutman....

Archived